Blowing white/light gray smoke

dits145

Jul 9, 2016
Towed my 5th wheel 320 miles yesterday. Truck ran great. No issues whatsoever. Plugged the truck in over night. Started and idled like normal this morning. Let it warm up for a little while. When I took off (not towing anymore) I noticed it blowing the white/light gray smoke.
When I turn the truck off I can hear a hissing for a few seconds in the lower driver side front of the truck, possibly the intercooler boot. Would a leak there cause that smoke?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Not likely for an boost leak to cause whitish smoke. Plus there should be much if any pressure durring shut down. You can pressurized intake system to check for leaks but you might be looking at an injector head gasket issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dits145

Jul 9, 2016
Truck runs and idles good. Coolant reservoir is clean as well as the coolant. Oil is clean with no signs of moister in it. Upper radiator hose isn't hard. No odd noises. Pulled off the oil cap. Was an initial burst of pressure, but no smoke. Injector balance rates look good. Is there anything I haven't checked that I should?

Can't seem to get the signature to show, but truck has egr/dpf delete. pcv reroute, lly turbo with billet compressor and 10 blade turbine. Motor Ops tow tune. Merchant Automotive Maximum work series transmission. 3" down pipe to 4" exhaust. Raptor lift pump

dits145

Jul 9, 2016
Just took it for a short drive again. Now I noticed there is oil coming out the exhaust and boost seems to be really slow at building. I did listen closer for the hiss and it sounds like its coming from the top drivers side around the valve cover.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I saw lly turbo , is it an lly or might you be dealing with a cracked piston on an lbz ? Is there alot of smoke comming out of your Pvc reroute ? and did you check for pressure at filler like Novak said yet ? We all hope its something small, Good luck !

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
sounds like your turbo is blowing oil out it (bad seal) or thrust washer went went bad. which also will cause oil out the exhaust. Been there done that

dits145

Jul 9, 2016
Truck is an LMM with the LLY turbo. Sorry! I still haven't figured out why my signature isn't coming up.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I saw lly turbo , is it an lly or might you be dealing with a cracked piston on an lbz ? Is there alot of smoke comming out of your Pvc reroute ? and did you check for pressure at filler like Novak said yet ? We all hope its something small, Good luck !

You can rebuild an LLY turbo with a 10 blade setup and throw them on an LBZ. They will actually hold a little more power than stock and sing like a 6.0 PSD

dits145

Jul 9, 2016
It does have pcv reroute. I just pulled the oil cap off again and still no smoke coming from there.

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
Pull the down pipe off the back of turbo see if there is oil in it and exhaust housing. Sounds like to me your blowing oil past the seals or if the oil drain is clogged it will push oil past the seals on the turbo exhaust side

dits145

Jul 9, 2016
After chatting with another member I have finally gotten this fixed. It was the pcv reroute. The hose was solid ice inside the last 8" of the hose. Got it broken up, cleaned out, and a different route, and now back to running like it should. Thanks to everyone for your replies. All help is always greatly appreciated!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Your probably the 5 or 6 guy I heard of this happening to in the last 2 weeks. One guy took out a main seal he thinks. How did you have your hose routed that it was a problem?

So many guys recommend reroutes on stockish trucks then things like this happen, because guys don't know any better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk