Block or head resurfacing?

flyinwrenches

Jun 13, 2024
Oklahoma
Ok, I have a technical question about head and block resurfacing. So, I am currently contemplating on buying a lml truck that says it has blown head gaskets. Now, that isn't too big of a deal for me really. But, upon doing some random reading, someone said the engine block needs refaced??? I usually just have them check the heads and have them resurfaced and throw on some thicker gaskets if need be, but should the block be resurfaced too? I haven't did a duramax set of heads before. Just other rigs. I was going to pull the engine and at least put some new bearings and may rering it, depending on what all everything looks like. I have seen bad mating surfaces on big rigs where they are needing refaced due to pitting. I can't see a lml having much pitting though. Does their cast warp or something in the blocks? Anyways, do I need to send in the block to be refaced?

Last edited:

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
You will have to carefully check the block to make sure it is flat and in good condition. If the engine was crudded up, had rust, corrosion etc on the head surface of the block, you may need to have it surfaced. It's just something you will have to gauge when you tear it down.

Reactions: flyinwrenches

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Engine Building. Changed title to more reflect the actual question.

As the guys said, its usually the heads that need resurfacing. The block may only need to be cleaned up lightly.

Reactions: flyinwrenches