Block heater ?

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
It was about 5* here last night and I plugged my truck in...went out to start it this morning and it would barely crank. Apparently the block heater quit working. I tried plugging it in just a bit ago and fire flew when I plugged it in. I then unplugged it and tried again...no fire but no normal "whoosh" noise when it comes on.

Anybody have any ideas on what to check or have run into this issue before? This was the first time I used the heater this year.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fire flew??! Shit man don't use it until you get that checked out first. You could burn your truck to the ground quick!

Check to see if you have a sensor on the plug that only lets it come on when it's cold enough.

Nick

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Fire flew??! Shit man don't use it until you get that checked out first. You could burn your truck to the ground quick!

Check to see if you have a sensor on the plug that only lets it come on when it's cold enough.

Nick

Yeah, it just arced...but at night it looked like a lot. I don't have it plugged in now. Its about 20* out and it starts alright at this temp.

Is there a fuse on it anywhere? I don't think there is.

I'll check for a sensor, but I don't remember seeing one when I rerouted the cord.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Mine did the same thing a few years ago. I plugged it into the extention chord and "CRACK". Looked back as sparks came out from under the truck. Got to looking at the heater and the chord that plugs into the heater was arced across to the 3rd prong (ground). Luckily my truck was still under warrenty so I had it all replaced. I would guess that water had gotten in there and corroded the plug letting it arc across. I haven't used it since it was replaced. It hardly get's cold enough here to plug it in and I don't DD the truck anymore. It scared the shit outta me.

I would unplug the chord the from the block heater and give in a once over. I wouldn't use it anymore untill you replace the chord and heater. It should be covered under your warrenty if you have less than 100K miles.

dmoonen

Jan 31, 2013
Plugged in the block heater for the first time this year tonight and sparks, lucky it was at night or else I wouldn't see them! Minus 33C here tonight with a blizzard warning and the dmax isn't starting, guess the diesel fuel is gelling.

Seems water damage to the plug! I'm going to splice, solder and heat shrink a new cord in place.

Old thread I know but watch your plugs boys, don't want to wake up to a burnt truck.

dmoonen

Jan 31, 2013
Plug was bad, cord looks fine.

I was planing on temporarily just putting a new plug but for personal reassurance and the fact I don't want to wake up to a burning truck in my driveway I'm going replace the whole cord to the block with a longer thicker gauge wire with a connection on the front for easier hook up.

I'll post my fix once its done:thumb:

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Plugged in the block heater for the first time this year tonight and sparks, lucky it was at night or else I wouldn't see them! Minus 33C here tonight with a blizzard warning and the dmax isn't starting, guess the diesel fuel is gelling.

Seems water damage to the plug! I'm going to splice, solder and heat shrink a new cord in place.

Old thread I know but watch your plugs boys, don't want to wake up to a burnt truck.

Where are you from? Weather report seems similar to what they were calling for my area?

AKMAX

Dec 13, 2012
Alaska
I had the same problem a few years back. When I plugged it in sparks flew burned the cord and my hand. I changed the cord at first and when I checked it I plugged it into a GFCI outlet. I tripped the outlet. It ended up being the heater element in the block.

dmoonen

Jan 31, 2013
Where are you from? Weather report seems similar to what they were calling for my area?

Blue Mountain, Ontario Canada. The weathers weird the last week its been around -17C to around -35C. This week starting from friday is calling for +0C to +6C :screwy:

dmoonen

Jan 31, 2013
I had the same problem a few years back. When I plugged it in sparks flew burned the cord and my hand. I changed the cord at first and when I checked it I plugged it into a GFCI outlet. I tripped the outlet. It ended up being the heater element in the block.

I'll test the block heater when I'm in there. Thanks for the heads up AKMAX

Last edited:

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Blue Mountain, Ontario Canada. The weathers weird the last week its been around -17C to around -35C. This week starting from friday is calling for +0C to +6C :screwy:

Ok. Ya I'm from Muskoka so pretty close. Ya freezing and snowy all week and then rain on the weekend.

dmoonen

Jan 31, 2013
Update; checked out the old cord and the plug was indeed broken but the heater itself was still good (checked it with the multi meter).

Ran down to NAPA and they couldn't find the part number for the duramax block heater cord in their system (figures) so being stubborn and needing a cord we tried some cords they had in stock and found one that fit perfect!

The part number is #605-1527 from NAPA (Canada) and costed only $21! Its the same size and length btw.

@andy your not too far from me at all

Attachments

• IMG_6846.jpg
    IMG_6846.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 17