black gear oil

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
Ok finally went through and replaced all the fluids in my truck after buying it two months ago and everything looked great except the front diff. The fluid came out blacker than the oil... I carefully inspected the magnet on the drain plug and there was very little metal shavings on the magnet. I fished around through the drain plug hole with a magnet and didnt pull out any metal. I then flushed with new fluid and replaced. was wondering if I should go more into it or the fluid just might have been old.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
i dont think so. the rear diff was regular 80/90 so by my logic why do one diff in expensive oil and not the other. especially the front that doesnt get used as much

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
so i get that i should be running 75/90 illl fix that :D but should i tear my front diff apart or just leave it be since no pieces came out

IMO, if you spin the tires and here no nasty noises, spin the driveshaft and here no noises, fill it with oil and be done with her. It sounds like someone just had not changed the fluid since new

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Typically, when these were new and you decided to change your differential fluids after break-in, you would find 2 things to notice right away:
1) The rear was 1.5-2 qts low and smelled like grape soda. (Thus "grape Juice")
2) The front fluid drained out with a nasty, snotty yellow color.

If you ran either for way too long they were black. Just change 'em and go. If you scatter something in there it'll be closer to silver color ;)

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
I changed the fluids today to 75/90. Thanks for the input. I'm gonna check the front diff again in about 3k when I change the oil again, just to be sure.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
my front diff fluid looked like crap with shavings in it when I first changed it, since then I have beat on it more than you will and still going strong