Best year model for power mods?

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
I like my 2001 model. Even though its not as sophisticated as the newer models. I like the way I can hear the engine in cab versus the newer quieter trucks. Which years are the best for modding?

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
2006-2007.5 with 8th vin digit a D are LBZs. Most powerful dmax pre dpf, plently of aftermarket support and you get a 6 speed

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I love the LBZ, wish I had one, but parts for LB7's are getting mighty cheap right now, so that might be your best year ('01 - '04.0) for power mods.

If budget isn't a concern, go for the LBZ. Can't beat the 6-speed! Plus, no injector issues.

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
only paid 12k for my truck last year with 125k miles on it... a good 6k under book value so i think i got a good deal. Like the engine... seems like its sluggish right off the line. I figure a turbo upgrade would solve that

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
For a fun street truck the LBZ's are awesome , the are so fun to drive , fast , responsive, and even a low power LBZ will boil tires , but if max performance for the buck is what your after i still think the LB7 is king , the waste gated charger, while laggy will always have the lowest drive pressure and can be pushed the hardest , and the tuning is much more cut and dry and we have much more control over it which really helps when racing .

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
That depends on alot. Do you have access to a scan tool or do you have any soft codes on the dash? There will be some lag on a stock truck, you'll get used to how to roll into the throttle to get her to scoot from a dig. Free flow exhaust and modding your factory airbox will run you a few hundred and make a good difference. You can do driveway straight pipes too if you are okay with 3 inch exhaust, which will be fine till you get into serious stuff. Also take off the 6.6 Duramax engine cover with an Allen wrench and plug the hole on the intake to hear a little more turbo noise, no performance that's just nice to listen to. Use a 2 inch inside diameter rubber plumbing plug to cover it. And like I said earlier you can gut the inside of your stock airbox at home and skip on a $200+ intake. Free to do and will be fine for a while.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Mainly because they are the oldest and cheapest on the market.

My vote, if you want to do an all out build, save money upfront and start with an lb7. If you just want to plug and play for a fast street truck do an lbz or newer.

sent via rooted DroiD
SS4.7 1.25GHz