Best Factory Wheel Coating?

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Wheel Coating?

I'm about to purchase new wheels, I've had both BMF Novakanes in Stealth and Death Metal, finish scratches way to easy on death metal for it to be on a wheel..I just don't like the stealth as much..I'm leaning toward another set of Novakanes in DM or Fuel Mavericks in black/machined..which one has better coating?

Last edited:

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I've ran a couple sets of fuel. Honestly for the price you can't complain. I've also ran novikane death metal. Love them but finish wasn't up to winter conditions unless religious cleaning.

If I could get novikanes in 20x12 I would run then and then cheapo clear coat them in an attempt to keep the factory finish

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
yea and that just seems like a pain to me, I already know what's gonna happen..in the beginning I'll take real good care of them then I'll forget or let it go a time or two then they'll start to look like crap..just wish they coated them or something better..

Hernpj01

On a Time Out
Sep 23, 2014
Indiana
ae016 i am very happy with these wheels

Ive had fuels, xds, but never bmf but i know several ppl have issues with there bmf's

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
The clear coat peals on the machined surface. Like the clear is too thin. A full clear coat over entire rim would do wonders IMO. It's the salt and gravel roads that kill bmf's IMO. Buddy is street only and the truck is NEVER dirty. Will wash daily if needed. His bmf have held up good for the last 2 yrs.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
When I was in Cali I never drove my reg cab, sand would collect in the wheels because the wind would blow it around then when I hosed it out the wheels were scratched to shit. The paint is really thin also. They look the best IMO but they scratch do bad and the machined part oxidizes and gets white rings..

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
My Fuels have a flat black powder coat on them, it seems pretty thick. I had a bunch of hot metal get on the powder coat when my front brakes took a dump and for the life of me I couldn't get it off of the Fuels, but once they got a taste of what they put on the roads up here that stuff came right off and the wheels look good as new again. If I buy another set of wheels for whatever reason, I will look at Fuels again.

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
My Fuels have a flat black powder coat on them, it seems pretty thick. I had a bunch of hot metal get on the powder coat when my front brakes took a dump and for the life of me I couldn't get it off of the Fuels, but once they got a taste of what they put on the roads up here that stuff came right off and the wheels look good as new again. If I buy another set of wheels for whatever reason, I will look at Fuels again.

That's what I like to hear! I think I'm actually gonna pull the trigger on some Fuel Couplers 20x10 -12mm

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
After reading this thread and a few others im taking my truck to my local professional detailer and getting my wheels coated with opticoat pro. Its cheaper and he claims better than clear coating.