Best ball joint

Vmyrhaug

2003 lb7sac45 35" 20x12 fjallasport flares
Mar 6, 2016
Norway
i have 2003 silverado 2500hd 4wd.
now upper balljoints have play, cognitos with 30000miles on them. grease they had 2-3 times every year.
bottom ones is still stock after 130000miles, no play in them, evereything from rare parts in steering, still very good after 50k miles..
so, what is best ones out there? they are screw in, not press, still buy cognito, are kryptonite better? moog? have bad experience with moog parts before.
truck is leveled, t,bars bolt all way in, shock extensted, 35" tires on 10" wheel..
same question about wheel bearing, whats the best there, no play in them yet, but nice to know..

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Ball Joints: Kryptonite, Mevotech TTX and Moog HD have been solid for me. My truck currently has all Moog.

Wheel Bearings: Kryptonite and Timken have been great for me. I have Raybestos on my truck simply because they were the only lifetime warranty bearing I could get in town when I had a failure and needed to be somewhere. So far they've been solid.

Reactions: Animals1234

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
TTX has been my go-to. Not sure there is a ttx part number for that uca ball joint though. I’d have to search/cross reference the napa part number.

Also, being you are cranked and even with cognito upper arms, don’t expect the longest mileage out of the upper ball joint no matter what one you put in there. It cannot take the force of the UCA hitting its bump stop and stopping that whole suspension along with spring preload for long periods of time. Even guys running dual shocks on the UCA with tons of clearance between the UCA and its bump stop still eat ball joints as the shock is constantly pulling/pushing up and down on that joint.

It’s far better than stock but it still can’t take the load like the lower can.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
TTX has been my go-to. Not sure there is a ttx part number for that uca ball joint though. I’d have to search/cross reference the napa part number.

Also, being you are cranked and even with cognito upper arms, don’t expect the longest mileage out of the upper ball joint no matter what one you put in there. It cannot take the force of the UCA hitting its bump stop and stopping that whole suspension along with spring preload for long periods of time. Even guys running dual shocks on the UCA with tons of clearance between the UCA and its bump stop still eat ball joints as the shock is constantly pulling/pushing up and down on that joint.

It’s far better than stock but it still can’t take the load like the lower can.
For Stock Arms:
MEVOTECH TXK6696 TTX; Non-Adjustable; Greaseable
Front Upper

For bolt in style confirmed by James:
MEVOTECH TXK6292 TTX; Greaseable
Front Upper

Last edited:

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I haven’t tried some of the joints that were mentioned but i have used Napa joints and they are nothing but overpriced junk. I have tried the Kryptonite with no longevity and who cares about warranty when you gotta be changing them all the time. So far my best luck has been the GM joints and they are way cheaper with the discount i get.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I haven’t tried some of the joints that were mentioned but i have used Napa joints and they are nothing but overpriced junk. I have tried the Kryptonite with no longevity and who cares about warranty when you gotta be changing them all the time. So far my best luck has been the GM joints and they are way cheaper with the discount i get.

Which one? Proformer joints are junk. NCP part numbers are not, though they are now changing to NCD and being made by Dorman .

The ttx should be TXK6292

But like I said, there’s more to it than the joint. Case in point, I have 60-70k on my ncp 2601313 uppers and no play still

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Moog on mine, lower joint and the complete replacement upper arm. They've been on for over 5 years, so may not be subject to a lot of the quality concerns floating around

Vmyrhaug

2003 lb7sac45 35" 20x12 fjallasport flares
Mar 6, 2016
Norway
Moog on mine, lower joint and the complete replacement upper arm. They've been on for over 5 years, so may not be subject to a lot of the quality concerns floating around
my brothers suburban, 2003 4wd 8.1l we put in moog problem solver, complete front rebuild. 2 years later, 10000miles later, we put in complete rare parts in steering, moog parts had alot of play. not big wheels, cranked up 1" no abuse on car. still with orginal shocks after 1100000miles..

JSimmsy

Mar 31, 2019
Ohio
Kryptonite on mine. Both upper and lower. I will add however, I did not like the way the press in kryptonite UCA ball joint fit. It was too loose. Now I have kryptonite UCA and bolt in ball joints. Good so far.

I'm stock height on 285's and the lowers have been in for at least 40k and holding up great. Current uppers only have about 5-10k on them.

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
I vote for TTX as well. We've installed a number of those on personal vehicles and customer's. They also offer wheel bearings.

Can't speak to Kryptonite, never tried them.

Moog, in my experience, are poor at best.