Bad news for my Dmax

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
Trucks got to go, come to find out my oil is leaking out the bypass valve, the injectors need to be done, needs a right hub, gauge cluster is shot, radio and door speakers don't work, it's very depressing but it's looking like I'm in search for another lb7 or lly, truck has 220k and being I don't have a whole lot done to it I'm just going to start over, anyone think a lly is a bad choice, I don't want to deal with the lb7 injector issues and I don't want to deal with the lbz turbo issues

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Stock gaskets and bolts with close to 190k on mine. I've beat the hell out of it the last 10k. She just keeps soaking it up. I have some white residue at the head to block joints but I'm letting it ride till it blows. Not losing a noticeable amount.

I'm not aware of lbz specific turbo issues. Lly, lbz, lmm, lml all work the same and are very similar

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Doesn't matter what you do now, your going to be looking money into something else. I was in the same predictment as you. I said the hell with it, I don't have a payment, I'm gonna just fix what's broke. And I am super glad I did. Still enjoy my truck, runs awesome and has 550hp. Now just waiting on the rods to give out lol. Depends on if u like wrenching on stuff your self too but doesn't seem your truck needs that much work. Most of the issues you have are pretty common and usually only need replaced once for the life of the vehicle, (hub, injectors, cluster) lly have there fair amount of issues too

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Every generation has its problems you just have to decide what you like to fix. Just remember its almost always cheaper to fix a truck that is paid off than to buy a new truck with a big payment.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
ALL versions of Duramax trucks have some sort of "issues" that owners have to deal with.

EDIT: Treed by Sean

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Any older truck is going to need things... LB7 & LLY's are older trucks now LBZ is getting some age as well. If you like the truck just fix it, if not find something else but as others mentioned it will probably need stuff too. As much as people don't want to hear it or fork out the cash, the fuel system is a wear item none of them will last forever.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
That's where I'm stuck at because I love my truck but I still have a payment on it, I have 13 payments left but I don't have the funds to rebuild the truck right now beings I'm working 3 jobs to support my wife and son while my wife is going to college, I can afford the payment I just can't afford to drop a lot of money right now to fix this one

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Sounds like to me you need to sell your truck and a $2k beater to get you by until your wife is out of school. I don't understand living pay check to pay check just to drive a nicer truck.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Sounds like to me you need to sell your truck and a $2k beater to get you by until your wife is out of school. I don't understand living pay check to pay check just to drive a nicer truck.

Well some people might be in love with their trucks. I'd do just about anything to keep mine. :happy2:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Lol I drive a 2000$ beater to be able to have my truck. But I don't have a payment on my truck, so for it to sit and only be a weekend warrior. I am okay with that

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's where I'm stuck at because I love my truck but I still have a payment on it, I have 13 payments left but I don't have the funds to rebuild the truck right now beings I'm working 3 jobs to support my wife and son while my wife is going to college, I can afford the payment I just can't afford to drop a lot of money right now to fix this one

There are better options financially if that's the case. Buying another truck and selling this one wouldn't be one of the best ideas based on what I've read.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Loving your truck and being financially irresponsible is a fine line.

I like to live my life on the edge :D

All joking aside though I wouldn't have bought a dmax if I couldn't afford it that's just how I am I don't like to owe anyone anything. I made triple payments for a year and then I was done. 100% debt free at the moment feels good.