B-17 resto

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Been working on this bad boy. Drilling rivets, there's millions of 'em. Some day it will fly again, I feel privileged to be able to work on this old warbird, not many people get to see these, let alone work on them!

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 128

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Very cool:thumb: One of my good friends dad flew one in the war. I got check out his diary and other cool stuff. He made it to 1 mission to go before getting shot down, they would have beat the Memphis belle.

Please keep us updated progress. I love war birds:D

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm jealous...some of you guys have some pretty dang cool jobs:D
Gotta love the history in a project like this too!

Are there any bullet holes in the shell?

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I'm jealous...some of you guys have some pretty dang cool jobs:D
Gotta love the history in a project like this too!

Are there any bullet holes in the shell?

This one never saw combat, it was built at the end of WWII. For almost 70 years it sat near Portland, Oregon as a gas station canopy. It has less than 40 hours total flying time, but weather and roosting pigeons have taken their toll on her. Still, she is considered one of the most restorable of the half dozen or so non-restored B-17s left in the world. Here's the story:
http://www.b17alliancegroup.com/the-art-lacey-story.html

It's currently being worked on in Salem, Oregon

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Privately owned?

I'll take it for truth but some of that history seems a bit far-fetched. Nevertheless, its an interesting history!

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
This one never saw combat, it was built at the end of WWII. For almost 70 years it sat near Portland, Oregon as a gas station canopy. It has less than 40 hours total flying time, but weather and roosting pigeons have taken their toll on her. Still, she is considered one of the most restorable of the half dozen or so non-restored B-17s left in the world. Here's the story:
http://www.b17alliancegroup.com/the-art-lacey-story.html

It's currently being worked on in Salem, Oregon

Actually, that's a pretty cool story in itself!
And there are only 6 or so left in the WORLD that are restorable, that aren't yet restored?
Pretty neat stuff!

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Very cool job. I was fortunate enough about 6-years ago to go fly on one. "The Aluminum Overcast". All I can say about those brave men that flew them, is that they had to be skinny and not to tall. The tail gunner could have that job. Great ride :thumb:

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Here is a pic of the restored nose section next to Aluminum Overcast at a fundraiser we had this summer. It has an original new Norden bombsight installed. The guy in the middle is from Boeing and is presenting Art Lacey's grandson and his wife (owners of the B-17) with copies of all the drawings and manuals at a champagne celebration. Aluminum Overcast was here for 4 days giving rides.

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 23