AZ to MA

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
At the end of this month, I will be moving back to my home state in MA. The truck turned 100k miles a few months ago, still runs like new. I have changed all the fluids except for brake and trans (trans was changed 25k miles ago) and all new filters were put on, including changing out the lift pump (old one growling). I will be pulling a 35' enclosed trailer (40' total end to end), is there anything I should check on?

I just put new tires and new electric brakes on the trailer, also got a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller. The brakes works great, can't really tell a trailer behind me with the trailer being empty. I've been constantly checking everything to ensure that it is in tip top shape for the long pull. It's about 40 hour drive, my goal is to do at least 10 hours per day. Just wondering if you have any suggestions for the long trip.

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Might want a 5 gallon or two jug of diesel just in case. I do the cross country trip about 5 times a year and this has saved me. Make sure all fluids are topped off diffs, trans case, etc. and watch the temps. Watch the weather!

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Might want a 5 gallon or two jug of diesel just in case. I do the cross country trip about 5 times a year and this has saved me. Make sure all fluids are topped off diffs, trans case, etc. and watch the temps. Watch the weather!

X2 on this.

When I drove from Ca to Va. I had a tough time finding diesel along hwy 40. Especially New Mexico. I planned every stop and fill up before I left... That didn't work. Fuel stations were closed, moved or renamed with some non California names. I didn't want to risk getting shit fuel and kill my fuel system. I then googled some of the fuel companies and they were equivalent to Chevron, 76, Shell.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I'm moving to north central of MA, half hour from Worcester. I know the fuel is going to be a pain in the butt especially I figure I may average between 10-12 mpg.

Redhotgmc, already did the wheel bearings when I replaced brake assemblies. Bearings were fine, just needed a replaced grease, had my wife help me with that.

Anyone know a good app for finding diesel on droid? I'm also bringing a set of fuel filters too just in case I come across bad fuel which is rare but I'm always prepared.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Andrew with that trailer I bet you wont get much higher than 10.

If you need a spare shorty cat filter I have one that I cant use and will just thow it over the fence to you :D

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Brian, towing that trailer empty through Tucson in the city and all that hills I got 15 mpg. That had me really surprised, I was expecting 12 at the most. The trailer isn't light though. I'll probably have about another 4-5k lbs in the trailer which will be about 8-10k lbs. Still light for a diesel to pull, and it's all highway.

plazmamunky

Just A Few Months AWAY
Mar 31, 2013
Wichita, KS McConnell AFB
with all the weight air bags for the rear wouldn't be a bad idea especially with the tongue tow trailer. when i towed from california to kansas a while back truck did fine but all i had was that rickety tandem uhaul trailer. Air Bags help to make that ride a little better and wont give you the bounce when you hit uneven pavement

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
with all the weight air bags for the rear wouldn't be a bad idea especially with the tongue tow trailer. when i towed from california to kansas a while back truck did fine but all i had was that rickety tandem uhaul trailer. Air Bags help to make that ride a little better and wont give you the bounce when you hit uneven pavement

I wish I can do the airbag but can't do it yet. It's not going to be cheap on fuel for the trip so I rather save as much I can for now. Later on maybe next year, I might ditch the rear leafs for full airbag rear suspension or softer leaf springs with airbag.

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
I would do bags if you could I have just regular Firestone bags with the inlets at the lisence plate think they were around $200 at the time. Best investment I've made for towing a trailer.