Axle keeps coming out of the cup

Handsomeloser

Sep 8, 2024
Arizona
I have a 2012 2500hd that the drivers side cv axle keeps separating from the inner cup. I have a 7.5" inch Rough Country lift and I'm running 37""s. This setup was fine for 50-60k miles since I did the lift and tires. I replaced the axles after the boots got shredded, they were OEM and lasted 4 years with the 4in lift when I bought the truck and the 7.5in for the past 6 years. Angles are not the issue. I tried after market axles, they run shorter than OEM by about an inch and failed. Went back with OEM and the axle immediately separates from the inner cup attached to the differential when put into 4wd on a flat dirt road, twice now.I called Rough Country and they don't have a fix because the kit is designed for OEM axles. Has anyone else dealt with this? Thanks

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Had that happen to me several time until I put a bigger spacer in it. Double check the depth the the tripod extends into the housing. If it sits close to the opening then ot will pop out when under stress. Only took about 1/2" more thickness on my spacer to prevent it from happening again. Just make sure when the axle is level or whatever position has it furthest inside or compressed that it doesn't bottom out if you put a thicker spacer in it

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have no experience with these, but I keep seeing Trakmotive axles being pushed for lifted truck applications. They are supposed to be slightly longer and have better articulation...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Had that happen to me several time until I put a bigger spacer in it. Double check the depth the the tripod extends into the housing. If it sits close to the opening then ot will pop out when under stress. Only took about 1/2" more thickness on my spacer to prevent it from happening again. Just make sure when the axle is level or whatever position has it furthest inside or compressed that it doesn't bottom out if you put a thicker spacer in it

That’s what I’d do as well. Probably just need a thicker spacer

Reactions: 2004LB7