Anybody ever used inground pet fencing?

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Since our driveway is tore up and the gate has been taken down and it will up to a month to get a new gate. I'm thinking of ordering this.

http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-Ground-Fencing-System-SD-2000/dp/B0000AVVPU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

We currently have a doggy door with a huge dog run on the side of the house.

This is just a backup. Yes, it would be easier to make sure everyone closed the sliding glass door behind them. But, kids will be kids. My dog escaped yesterday lucky we found her at one the neighbors.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Not familiar with that brand but invisible fencing works greats. 3 of my friends put it in and there dogs now have total run of the property.

Randy5.0

MAKE IT 3 YDS MF
Sep 7, 2008
It does work and I use it on a 200 lb. Mastiff and an Australian Shepard. The two things I have had problems with are 1) low or dead batteries on the collar and 2) Broken wire due to the ground freezing and unfreezing which will break the wire and kill the electrical field. I don't think you'll have a problem with the ground freezing.

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Even so. You could put it into a small PVC pipe or something like that, that won't block the signal from getting out. That could prevent it from breaking.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The kids got a beagle for this last Christmas, so we'll be installing a system like that this spring, Kat. My boss told me he rented a trenching machine from our local rental house and didnt take him long to run his wire (~1500') for his two wiemarainers.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Thanks for the info guys:thumb:

I wonder though if concrete will kill the electrical field? I should have new concrete in the next week. It's just going take longer for the new gates.

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
They work great. I have two Goldens and my old place in Nevada didn't have a fence so I put the inground fence in. Worked great and the collar beeped before they got shocked so they got smart.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Kat didn't like my idea. :(

I wanted to put the collars on the kids, and the wire on the back patio door which allowed the dog to escape in the first place... :lildevil:

Luckily our dog is a Dmax dog. When she heard Wendy driving around the neighborhood, she started barking. A neighbor had kindly locked her in their backyard when they found her out wandering.

9W3-HD

Just another Duramax dude
May 29, 2009
Fort Collins COLORADO
What happens if they took off after a rabbit at full speed? If they made it past a certain point would the collar stop shocking? Just curious because I have a Bluetick coonhound and when she sees anything with fur and four legs the race is on, and her thres-hold for pain is tremendous.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
What happens if they took off after a rabbit at full speed? If they made it past a certain point would the collar stop shocking? Just curious because I have a Bluetick coonhound and when she sees anything with fur and four legs the race is on, and her thres-hold for pain is tremendous.

It only shock when within so many ft of the fire. If she gets through she's gone and she'll have to get shocked to come back in.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
The kids got a beagle for this last Christmas, so we'll be installing a system like that this spring, Kat. My boss told me he rented a trenching machine from our local rental house and didnt take him long to run his wire (~1500') for his two wiemarainers.

I have two weims and they both run full steam through the fences. But Im assuming Pat and Kat have dogs that aren't complete retards so it should work great :D

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Never had one myself but neighbor has one in there yard and it seems to work great with their lab. He has full run of the yard.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
A couple of my friends had these for their dogs. They worked fin until the dogs figured out that as soon as they were past it, the urge to stop moving went away. Then you'll have a hard time getting them back across it (especially if you forget to turn it off :))

Bobcat

Dec 5, 2008
Some dogs will work up the courage to run through the fence and once they do you can not keep them contained with it. If you do not put the wire in pvc pipe or bury it deep enough then when areating the yard you will break the wire and once broken even with fixing the broken places and waterproofing them the wire will deteriorate from the moisture. Finding the broken spots can be a pain also even using a radio signal. It will work under concrete. Collars don't last long (around 6 months) without problems.Pros are you can utilize it to the exact shape of your yard or containment area. Wireless is easier but more expensive but batteries are cheaper. However the cons are it will be a 180 feet adjustable down circle from the base unit instead of conforming to the actual shape of the containment area. Pros are the batteries are cheaper and you can take it with you to other places.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
42d79c33-6050-8280.jpg

Thanks guys. This is the only Area I need to block and only temporary. My dog is old and she is almost deaf. But, lucky she did recognize Wendy's sound like Pat said earlier and started barking.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think it will work out for you Kat.

x2. Usually the dog will learn quickly and then it won't test the range any longer and the batteries in the collar last longer. Eventually, you can run them without the collar and they won't come near the fence because they were trained by way of a mild shock that it hurts when they get near it.

You can get different length probes too for furrrier animals to make sure it gets throught to the skin. My buddy has a system called Invisible Fence and his retarded spaniel and borderline retarded black shepard both learned quickly and don't test it anymore. Actually, a mole chewed the wires up a year ago and the system is disabled but the dogs still don't leave the yard or come near the perimeter.

tbalz

ZF6 Shifting
May 8, 2008
Upstate NY
Best investment I have made is the invisible fence. If you take the proper time to following the training you will have no problems.

My dogs chase deer and coyotes at full speed and slam on the brakes when they get close to the fence. I have a 5acre area that I installed. I used the Pet Safe brand.

You can adjust the range so they start getting the signal 10ft away from the line and you can crank the level on the collars up depending on the dog.

I ran it in plastic conduit under my driveway.