Alternator Clocking

booxr800

Boo
Sep 13, 2009
Central Michigan
Hey guys I have a RDL Y bridge and boost tube. I installed the bridge and test fitted the boost tube. The tube is hitting the power stud on the alternator so I have to clock it. I am out of town now for work but am looking for pointers so I do it as soon as I get home. I have never messed with an alternator other than removing and installing a new one. So for any one that has done one can you share your knowledge please. I am guessing you clock it to the left towards the passenger side. It almost looks like the boost tube will hit the fuel test port right there too.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Shouldnt hit. Ive installed many and never had to clock an alternator.. Sure you didn't have the tube installed to deep?

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Same thing happened on my old LMM with Profab. IIRC, I had to use a dremel and cut a little square off one of the outside case halves so I could clock it. Pretty easy. I think I rotated it counter clockwise facing the engine.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
There's two different alternators that could've come on the early LMM's, that's why some have issues IIRC.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
One other thing I forgot to mention is that I made longer boots for the two Profab y bridges that have installed.

booxr800

Boo
Sep 13, 2009
Central Michigan
Same thing happened on my old LMM with Profab. IIRC, I had to use a dremel and cut a little square off one of the outside case halves so I could clock it. Pretty easy. I think I rotated it counter clockwise facing the engine.
So after I pull the alternator I just remove the few bolts that hold the halves together. Then separate the halves a little, rotate them and push them back together?

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
So after I pull the alternator I just remove the few bolts that hold the halves together. Then separate the halves a little, rotate them and push them back together?

Almost, theres an alignment tab or two that need trimmed.

booxr800

Boo
Sep 13, 2009
Central Michigan
One other thing I forgot to mention is that I made longer boots for the two Profab y bridges that have installed.
I was wondering about that. Even with clocking the alternator it wasn't looking like the boost tube was long enough to fit in the boots and get a clamp on them.

booxr800

Boo
Sep 13, 2009
Central Michigan
Just tried doing this. Do the halves separate pretty hard? I removed the 4 thru bolts, nut and pully. Got them to move about 1/8 of an inch and wouldn't go any further. What am I doing wrong?

booxr800

Boo
Sep 13, 2009
Central Michigan
Hey guys I am having trouble. I just don't see how to make this work. I clocked the alternator both ways and you can't reinstall it. I really need to know how anyone has done this.