Alternator and loading question

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Just asking,
Has anybody tried to "disconnect" the alternator @ WOT to see if reducing that load would help with reduced hp loss at the belt? I know the alt loaded down, is a drag....but how much?

Catpower

Feb 12, 2009
Fort St John BC
Alternator question?

The load on the alt is how much current it is producing at that time. 12 Volts x ??? amps = Watts.

1 HP = 746 Watts so 746/12= 62 Amps

You will producing current to recharge that batteries and to run you glow plugs and intake heater. The AC takes a fair amount of power from the engine turn it on some time and listen to the engine loadup. Then the heat from the air conditioner has to be disapated into the rad so the ?? viscous fan then kicks in and that draws extra heat from the radiator causing more drag on the engine! That is something that I dont' use very often. Driving with a front hood ??? thing on and roof and side windows they all add to the drag on the truck. The hood and roof ones drop mileage down ?? about 1 mpg or so I read years ago. Hope this helps.

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
The way I look at it, the effective resistance/drag caused by the alternator is directly proportional to the current we need to run electronics/charging system on truck. Does anybody know how much juice the electronics pull at idle/wot? Turning off all possible electrical draws (drl, headlights, cab light, hvac heated heats…etc) and making sure your batterie(s) are fully charged would make the draw minimal as possible.

If this proved effective, someone could try a way to use an electric clutch, like on the a/c compressor, and install them on the alternator(s), then wire a switch/button to disengage clutch…isn’t that how gm fixed the alternator belt squeak?

Also, If you were able to "un-excite" the field winding of the alternator you could also effective remove the electrical charge drag, but you would still be rotating the shaft of alternator and to my knowledge, most current production alternators are self-exiting.

Either way would be neat experiment. However I personally feel it’s not worth that much power with respect to how much these trucks are capable of when mildly tuned.

$.02

Bill.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
We have tried this on gassers a few times and didnt like doing it. It leaves less voltage for the ignition system, and I would assume you could say the same for our trucks with the injectors and other related electronics.

IMO the negligable gain would not be worth the risk of having a voltage drop and screwing up your electronics or even worse if it made the elctronics act funny and blew the motor...again JMO

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
although running a light or two hasn't seemed to have hurt Tony Burkhart :D

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

I have no experience with trying it on a DMax, but I do have a serpentine conversion on my 80 gasser and have a switch that disables the exciter wire for pulling.

There is no "seat of the pants" difference, but at the end of the pull when I finally let off the throttle (wheels are spinning out but no forward motion), I get a nasty squeal from the belt if the wire is excited, but hardly a peep if it's switched off (so there is a difference.....how much I have no idea.....probably negligable with the tq/hp we make). Although it would be cool to have a dyno spit out two numbers and compare before and after.