Aftermarket dampener ya or nay?

HurtMan

Point of no return
Dec 21, 2009
Ogden Ut.
Want to add a aftermarket dampener to a built LLY motor internally balance. I have keep the oem dampener since the build in 2007. After talking to a couple of good friends (diesel junky's). They told me to save myself the grief of a broken crank and leave the OEM dampener on and stay away from the heavier aftermarket dampeners. Since the build in 2007 I have continued to add more HP. Now at 851 rwhp I think it couldn't hurt to put a fluid dampener on, but have mixed fillings. I would really like a few more opinions.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Want to add a aftermarket dampener to a built LLY motor internally balance. I have keep the oem dampener since the build in 2007. After talking to a couple of good friends (diesel junky's). They told me to save myself the grief of a broken crank and leave the OEM dampener on and stay away from the heavier aftermarket dampeners. Since the build in 2007 I have continued to add more HP. Now at 851 rwhp I think it couldn't hurt to put a fluid dampener on, but have mixed fillings. I would really like a few more opinions.

I think you mixed that up a little above. Your motor is or should be external balanced. I would go with a ati and stay from the fluid dampener.

HurtMan

Point of no return
Dec 21, 2009
Ogden Ut.
The motor is a fully built motor rods, pistons, keyed crank,cam,dual dueler ex.... At the time of build I ran out of funds and opted to wait on the dampener. So I'm assuming they had balanced the crank, rods ex.... With the oem dampener. Now years latter I wanted to finally add a good dampener. I've talked to several people with mix opinions, some say that the extra weight of the aftermarket dampener cause crank failure, while others say it prevents damaging crank vibration? Would you put the fluid-dampener on at this point I've got it on my bench? I don't really want to be a bata tester but, that's what I feel like. Four plus years with no crank issues, and if I add a fluid dampener and lose a crank that's going to be a very expensive lesson. I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum and I really value your opinions and experience. Any help either way would help. Thanks

HurtMan

Point of no return
Dec 21, 2009
Ogden Ut.
Hurtman

I think you mixed that up a little above. Your motor is or should be external balanced. I would go with a ati and stay from the fluid dampener.

If you already have a fluiddampener would you install it? If no why?

I understand the ati is a externally balanced dampener (adjustable) where the fluid is suppost to balance it self with no adjustment? I'm no professional mechanic by any means just trying to make good educated decisions.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I think the fluidampr have gotten an unfair rap personally. Im sure some that were used got balanced improperly ( ie with it versus an oem balancer). Several engines have run them without issue. Mine has been on two different builds and of all the troubles I have had, a crank has yet to be one of them.

Just my 2 cents.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
If you already have a fluiddampener would you install it? If no why?

I understand the ati is a externally balanced dampener (adjustable) where the fluid is suppost to balance it self with no adjustment? I'm no professional mechanic by any means just trying to make good educated decisions.

Like you I have a built motor and reused the factory balancer. With that said all Duramax motors are external balanced from the factory. So I was letting you know your motor is external balanced not internal like you had wrote. Internal balanced duramaxs have just come around in the past few years thanks to guys like Guy @ SocalDiesel and a few others. With Ati balances the offer internal and external when ordering. Fluid dampner only offer external only so easy order. When messing around with these motors make sure your balancer and flywheels are matched also.

You asked if I would run one answer is no. I like Ati products had a chance for a free fluid dampner. I turned it down only had to run 3 runs on the dunk with the stock balancer and 3 runs with the fluid dampner and it was mine.

HurtMan

Point of no return
Dec 21, 2009
Ogden Ut.
Thanks Ripmf666 this is what I like most about this duramax forum. Answers with a explanation. That makes perfect sense to me if the dampener and flywheel are not matched this would significantly affect the balance of the crank. So I know that the aftermarket dampener is heavier than the oem dampener. This would through the rotating assembly out of balance. :thumb:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks Ripmf666 this is what I like most about this duramax forum. Answers with a explanation. That makes perfect sense to me if the dampener and flywheel are not matched this would significantly affect the balance of the crank. So I know that the aftermarket dampener is heavier than the oem dampener. This would through the rotating assembly out of balance. :thumb:

You can still add a ati or fluid dampner to a motor like you and I have with a stock flywheel also. You just want to make sure you have the matched flywheel and balancer when you have a internal or external balanced motor not mix matched.