Allison 6sp: after fluid change tranny slipping

Death{AW}

Sep 1, 2016
So I bought 08 duramax LMM with 6 spd allison. Drove it for a month no problem got finally all the parts and fluids to do the fluid swap. After the change transmission was slipping. I checked the fluid before change and was much higher then standard level but I assumed it was because of dented pan on transmission. So I did add extra quart and I was able to drive it now. But once in a while when I accelerate hard it will slip again. Should I add more ATF or is it something else? Truck has 106K miles on it.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You need a good scanner and someone who knows what they're looking at.

How bad is it dented? Why didn't you change it when you drained the fluid.
What is your current fluid level?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
So I bought 08 duramax LMM with 6 spd allison. Drove it for a month no problem got finally all the parts and fluids to do the fluid swap. After the change transmission was slipping. I checked the fluid before change and was much higher then standard level but I assumed it was because of dented pan on transmission. So I did add extra quart and I was able to drive it now. But once in a while when I accelerate hard it will slip again. Should I add more ATF or is it something else? Truck has 106K miles on it.

Did the dented pan look like this or did it have additional dents, the way you explain it you might be overfull.?
=
=
https://www.google.com/search?q=Allison+1000+pan&biw=720&bih=1209&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKj8DzrojQAhXr0FQKHWZyBBUQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=Allison+1000+stock+pan&imgrc=32JBTQy5cr_hKM%3A
=
29536522-allison-deep-pan-_1-of-4_.jpg

=
=
=
=
=

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
what do you think "slipping" is? these trans will go into limp before the average joe feels the trans slip

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
what do you think "slipping" is? these trans will go into limp before the average joe feels the trans slip
Pretty much what I was referring to.

If you feel it it's usually the transfer case.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Remember his previous thread, guys?

This was the shape the pan was in:
attachment.php

I guess he decided not to change the pan first? Kinda got the cart before the horse this time, I guess.

That dent's not worth one quart, IMO.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Looks like he broke the filter. Crack in the filter will cause air entering the pump feed.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Holy cow. Yeah I'm with these guys! Looks like internal filter is broke and pump is losing prime.