LBZ: Aerodynamic and rub questions

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I'm gonna instal the Cognito UCA leveling kit.

I know larger/agressive tires create rolling resistance and decrease MPG. I'm gonna run the factory wheel & tire combo for a while so no issues there but will the change in the aerodynamics due to the truck being leveled instead of raked create a MPG drop?

Also when I do get funds for new tire/wheels, will a 305/55-20 setup give me rubbing issues? I don't wanna be doing and trimming.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
my dad runs 305/55/20's on his all stock and it doesn't rub much if any, maybe on a good bump with the wheel turned all the way, but keep in mind thats with a large positive offset on gear rims. with a leveling kit you should be good

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Just FYI, if you don't already know, leveling kits really tweak your cv axle angles. I had one on my 01 and with the new torsion keys it rode like shit and sucked in 4wd.

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Ya my cuz installed a leveling kit with new keys & i wasnt a big fan. Im not doin the torsion key leveling kit, Im goin with the full upper control arm kit from cognitio.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I run 305/50-20's with the keys dropped all the way down and it only rubs the inner fender at full lock a little so I don't think you'll have any problem with rubbing after you level it.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ya my cuz installed a leveling kit with new keys & i wasnt a big fan. Im not doin the torsion key leveling kit, Im goin with the full upper control arm kit from cognitio.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with the Cognito UCA's you will still have to tweak the T-bars to get your lift. FWIW I have driven a levelled truck with Cognito UCA's and it rode quite good in my opinion.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I run 305/55/20s with no lift. Torsion bolts probably have 1/2-3/4 left but its rides better where its at now. Rubs at full lock inside the back of the wheel well but I think the bars up a bit higher and I don't think you'd have an issue.

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with the Cognito UCA's you will still have to tweak the T-bars to get your lift. FWIW I have driven a levelled truck with Cognito UCA's and it rode quite good in my opinion.

Ya but theyre not cranked all the way up like they would be without the arms

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ya but theyre not cranked all the way up like they would be without the arms

The arms do not determine you lift. only the torsion bars do. adding the cognito UCA is mainly to allow for a better ride with a cranked truck (it also helps with aligning when cranked). they do nothing to gain height

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
The arms do not determine you lift. only the torsion bars do. adding the cognito UCA is mainly to allow for a better ride with a cranked truck (it also helps with aligning when cranked). they do nothing to gain height

Ah gotcha, ultimatly im gonna do a 4-6" Lift kit just starting out with the UCA's for now.