Advice on a build?

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Gonna be doin a motor build on my lbz in the summer time and was wondering how deep I would have to go to be reliable at 800 to 1000 rwhp? And I'm already at 600rwhp now just wondering how long the stock motor will hold or if so how much more can I go without putting a rod threw my hood?
Any advice will sure be appreciated!

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I know I will prob. Get flack for saying this... But it has been done by some reputable people on this site. Granted they were in a pinch and just needed points for the season... BUUUUT... With that said.
If your on a tight budget, get a stock short block and tear into it. Get it machined and make sure everything is good to go. Throw in a set of carillos, crowers etc, key the crank and cam then throw your heads on it. Basically a rod swap and new bearings.
That's my .02. It's been done and I know for a fact that it's gone 10's. Would it last at 1000+RWHP? Prob not for a really long time. But at 8-900, and racing for a hobby... I think it would be fine.

I know someone will prob not agree. But the key here is budget. And I think it's a good bang for the buck. It's just not a "best money can buy" kinda build.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Yes, or a modified cp3. Tuning plays a major role in how long your motor will live. At that power level it wont last long that's for sure, either bent rods or a piston will let go, and maybe a windowed block or broken crank.
But if you want to give it a try get a bigger turbo ( billet s472) dual pumps, headstuds and a blessing. Stock injectors should get you near that level but some 60 overs would help too

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Would I use cut pistons or aftermarket mahle etc. And would I have to bore out cilynders? How much do dual cp3s cost? And how much do u think I would have in a build like u said Pat?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Would I use cut pistons or aftermarket mahle etc. And would I have to bore out cilynders? How much do dual cp3s cost? And how much do u think I would have in a build like u said Pat?

Cut and. Coated LB7/LLY pistons are fine. Typically you will bore out the cylinders come time to build. .20 over.
Dual cp3's using stock cp3's are ~$2k iirc (may be off. It's been awhile since I bought a kit)
A build like I said will break down like this:
Used shortblock ~$500 on Craigslist.
Rods of your choice: ~$2200
Then you gotta pay for machine work for the block, balance the crank and key it. Then key the cam.
And top it all off with ARP studs. If you shop around I think it can be done for ~$5k. Keep in mind that's just the short block. If you run big boost. You will need valve springs to stop the valves from floating.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I know I will prob. Get flack for saying this... But it has been done by some reputable people on this site. Granted they were in a pinch and just needed points for the season... BUUUUT... With that said.
If your on a tight budget, get a stock short block and tear into it. Get it machined and make sure everything is good to go. Throw in a set of carillos, crowers etc, key the crank and cam then throw your heads on it. Basically a rod swap and new bearings.
That's my .02. It's been done and I know for a fact that it's gone 10's. Would it last at 1000+RWHP? Prob not for a really long time. But at 8-900, and racing for a hobby... I think it would be fine.

I know someone will prob not agree. But the key here is budget. And I think it's a good bang for the buck. It's just not a "best money can buy" kinda build.

with lb7/lly pistons. lbz pistons are junk

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Well Joe I got twins coming. How much will the stock motor handle?

Twins can easily bend a rod. Be careful who tunes it. There are guys who have gone 11's on a stock bottom end with twins. But it's all about tuning. There are a chit load of guys who have bent rods with twins and will attest to this.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Dude that is like the million dollar question. Lol.

Don't set a #, just get it to where you like it and if it holds together, good. But if it let's go than build it.
Have you ran your truck at the track to see what itts got?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
with lb7/lly pistons. lbz pistons are junk

X's 2. Didn't note that in the first post. But when I broke it down a little I did.

to the OP... LB7/LLY Pistons are the same. And they are superior to the later model pistons. On the contrary. Later model dmax's rods are stronger than LB7/LLY rods. Just so you know.

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Well thanks for all the advice guys I guess it's not gonna be as bad as I thought. Might try building a complete motor and just swap it out. Thanks for the advice.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Just have fun with it man! That's what it's all about. You can get 600 out of what you have now. 600 is a shit load of fun and will whoop up on some arrogant ass srt-8 enthusiasts.

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
I did when I just had efi live and I ran high 14 and that was basically just some hott tunes now I got some wrk done on it I need to hit the track again.

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Yea pat it is fun for sure! U get all these cummins guys thinking their bad ass cause they blow smoke and u just blow there doors off lol and yea killing little rice burners is fun to lol:spit:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Haha we are better than rice. You gotta go after the new muscle cars. But be warned... Some of those ****3rs are fast!