86 cherokee duramax swap

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
i have a 86 jeep cherokee that i have done a full power train/ drivetrain swap with a 77 chevy k20 i bought for 400 bucks. it has the 350 HD and a saginaw 3 spd in it now....indestructable with the dana 60/44 axles, the 350 is tired and want to experiment with diesel for a while. i have heard that the duramax bell housing bolt patern will fit my transmission i know that i will need the wiring harness from whatever i pull the motor from and probably take the fuel lines as well. now im not to familiar with diesel cuz ive only helped my dad with his old cummins so i need to know what else i will need to pull as well as some accessories i should think about as for unibody reinforcement and motor mounts i plan to plate the subframe but im not surehow the motormounts should be to handle the extra torque fabrication is not a problem at all also thinkin about twin smoke stacks on both sides humvee style. probably have tma do it but if not how should i do it.... size of pipe, smoke stack kits, etc.... anything would be helpful thanks!!!!!!!!! ohh ps i wanna kno what will give this thing more balls i know they push serious power stock and are torque monsters but other than that i also need little tipsand tricks on the install tune up and maintenence id also like to know how they run in the winter cuz i live in south dakota and the last few winters have been terrible so like good brands of an anti gel
etc...

Rockin C Racing

Oct 31, 2010
Vancouver, WA
www.rockincracing.com
First off the back of a Duramax where the bell housing bolts up is not the same as a SBC which is what your saginaw has. Besides that, your saginaw most likely will not handle the power/torque produced by the Dmax. Not to deture you from your project, just trying to help with some more information. I would suggest finding a Dmax with the ZF-6 (manual) transmission. You would also most likely need a body lift if you don't already have one.

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
thats what i thought about the bell housing i know that 3 speed would handle the power if i can get a bell housing for it but if i got a new tranny i would go with an allison auto the cherokee is a unibody so i cant body lift it at all but i dont think i will have a problem putting the motor inside of the rails. how about the older 6.6 diesel then if a dmax is out of my reach i know that would bolt to my tranny but lacks power that the dmax has

Rockin C Racing

Oct 31, 2010
Vancouver, WA
www.rockincracing.com
Before the Dmax was the 6.5 and before that 6.2. I'm not real familiar with them but I think they have the same bolt pattern as the SBC. Since you can't do a body lift, you would have to cut up the tunnel in order to fit an Allison in there. By no means am I a master or guru, but I highly doubt the saginaw will hold up to a Dmax especially if you're wanting to turn it up some.

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
alright well thanks im not to familliar with the other two either but thanks iv already cut the hell out of the tunnel to fit the 3 spd in ill try doing some reserch on the 6.2 and the 6.5 but i know that those will bolt almost directly in but if i could get a dmax as iv seen u are doing a swap with one what would it cost do you think?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You'll need the throttle pedal for the model year of the engine.

I was under the impression that the dmax will bolt up to any typical GM pattern trans? You're Saginaw and D44/D60 will HATE life wheeling where you use a LOT of the tq.

I have no idea about adding bracing to the unibody but it sounds like a reasonable time to add a roll cage. Serve two functions - protect your dome if you roll that beast & add rigidity to the setup. ;)

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The DURAMAX uses the standard 90 degree V engine mounting pattern for teh bellhousing, so any 90 degree V-6 or V-8 trans will bolt right up. A flexplate or flywheel is another story. As for a unibody, I'm guessing that means this is a small CHEROKEE. If so the engine will be sticking out of teh hood by a BIG margin over a 350 as it is noticeably taller. And I HIGHLY doubt the unibody will hold up to the torque that would be slammed to it. I would consider a 5 cylinder MERCEDES if you want to go with a diesel in that body.

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
ok ill add that to my list and saginaw is one heavy duty sob but i was planning on adding a cage but what about wiring? i dont need many accessories i pretty much just need everything to run the motor because all of my gauges are analog and i have no power locks or windows or any driver assistance other than power steering and power brakes and the old chevy wiring is alreaqdy setup for my lights, dash and accessorie circuits

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
and yes its the small cherokee but like i said i believe it will fit inside the frame rails with modifications of course and withj reinforcement the unibody should holdup tubed subframe/cage maybe?

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
If you get this done do a writeup lol if it works I have a 96 cherokee that is kindof a toy that I would like to do this lol

Sent from my DROIDX

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
if you want me to i can send more pics of my gen 1 SBC swap the ls1 are BA motors too pretty much the same mounting design as the gen 1s im still only thinkin about doin the dmax lol

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
Yeah if you would send me some detail pics I would apreciate it bud! I have a 6. 0 sitting around with a 4l80e should work well in there haha

Sent from my DROIDX

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well, that d60/d44 aint very strong first off. the d60 can be built to be but in stock form they are alright. the d44 on the otherhand is weak. even built they are weak and wont stand for the torque a dmax puts out. that saginaw trans will NOT stand up behind a stock dmax. they are decent in the gasser world but not in the dmax. not to mention i hgihly doubt you will find anyone who has a clutch setup that the saginaw will work with and hold the torque.

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
Axles can be swapped easily though and also narrowed to fit under the cherokee. Just have to have the knowhow to do it lol

Sent from my DROIDX

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
alright well i was gunna buildup both axles just remember i dont have alot of money for new parts so i deal with what i have the axles will be locked but bein 3/4 tons i dont think im gunna have a huge problem with it and if i can get an allison for cheap with the motor ill go for it and just gear my axles to 4.11s

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
alright well i was gunna buildup both axles just remember i dont have alot of money for new parts so i deal with what i have the axles will be locked but bein 3/4 tons i dont think im gunna have a huge problem with it and if i can get an allison for cheap with the motor ill go for it and just gear my axles to 4.11s

just because they are out of a 3/4 tone truck doesnt mean they will be strong enough for the torque your wanting to put through them. dont get me wrong, that d44 will get your around in snow or areas where light thottle input in 4wd is needed but if your gunna hammer down through mud or do any rock crawlin or some boosted 4wd launches, that front axle will break with a dmax under the hood, specially being locked. my buddy breaks that exact axle in his cj7 everytime we go wheelin and he has a little 327 small block thats worn out with a sm465 and 205 t-case.