6spd stalls high on a hot soak

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
Ok guys, I have one that is really eating my lunch. 2006 6spd, suncoast 6-3r kit with a Precision converter. After getting trans to temp and shutting off for 30 minutes to an hour, upon restart, the converter stalls VERY high. If driven a short distance it will start to operate normal again. I have verified the turbine speed is at 0rpm when this occurs with the truck not moving. The trans is in gear. I have swapped converters and have the same issue. Not real sure where to go now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
It drives as if it has a 5000 rpm converter. Just revs then somewhere around 2200-2500 rpm, the truck will just start to creep forward. This is with the brakes off, lol.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You are getting drainback from the converter. You may be low on fluid or you cut a sealing ring.

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
I considered converter drainback, but it doesn't happen cold. If I let it sit all night long, it works perfect in the morning. I pulled the front of the trans down while swapping converters and didn't see any cut rings. I could have missed one though. The problem only seems to happen on a hot soak of around 30-60 minutes. Could it be a damaged filter sucking air?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I considered converter drainback, but it doesn't happen cold. If I let it sit all night long, it works perfect in the morning. I pulled the front of the trans down while swapping converters and didn't see any cut rings. I could have missed one though. The problem only seems to happen on a hot soak of around 30-60 minutes. Could it be a damaged filter sucking air?

That would have been my first check.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I have the opposite problem - mine is slow to move when first started on a cold start (not necessarily cold ambient temp, just no heat in the engine/trans/etc) then gets better as things warm up. :eek:

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
Well it did it cold this morning also. I checked filter and all is well. Pulled trans and tore it back down. There is a minor scuff on the farthest down sealing ring that seals inside the converter... Not sure if its enough for this issue though.