Question: 6.4 vs lmm?

d00m

Jan 21, 2016
I know this question has been beat to death, im pretty stuck in between these two trucks because of my budget. But i wanted to know out of the two which will be easier and cheaper to attain 105+ traps in the 1/4 and be reliable doing it. Im a chevy fan at heart which is why i am posting here lol.

Ive been lurking on here and some other sites for a couple months and thought id ask for some unbiased opinions. Thanks! :thumb:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Here's a 6.4 I just finished.

I'd say Lmm all day because I hate 6.4s..

6b356b1b0ceb3eb76269b8894718fb0a.jpg

Although 6.4s with a big tune are fast until something shits the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I know this question has been beat to death, im pretty stuck in between these two trucks because of my budget. But i wanted to know out of the two which will be easier and cheaper to attain 105+ traps in the 1/4 and be reliable doing it. Im a chevy fan at heart which is why i am posting here lol.

Ive been lurking on here and some other sites for a couple months and thought id ask an for some unbiased opinions. Thanks! :thumb:

All depends on mods and how much $$$ you got to spend. Personally I would go with the lmm. It will definitely last longer. With a dmax to hit 105 @ 5k feet in elevation generally a good tune lift pump built trans and lockup controller will get you there.

NRA223

May 20, 2015

Ive been lurking on here and some other sites for a couple months and thought id ask for some unbiased opinions. Thanks! :thumb:

Not the 6.4

d00m

Jan 21, 2016
All depends on mods and how much $$$ you got to spend. Personally I would go with the lmm. It will definitely last longer. With a dmax to hit 105 @ 5k feet in elevation generally a good tune lift pump built trans and lockup controller will get you there.

Thanks thats exactly what i wanted to hear, thats more or less wha the 6.4s run with a big tune from what ive seen 101-104 it seems depending on trim. Is it common for CCSB's to do it?

Here's a 6.4 I just finished.

I'd say Lmm all day because I hate 6.4s..

6b356b1b0ceb3eb76269b8894718fb0a.jpg

Although 6.4s with a big tune are fast until something shits the bed.

Haha had some local techs tell me the same, they were doing two engine swaps on two trucks because of melt downs. I was dead set on a 6.4 till they told me this. I got two friends with LMM's and they're dead reliable.

I read that they usually shit the bed when you leave the DPF and EGR stuff in. Is that truck stock above?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
6.4s pay my mortgage. We had 3 in the shop this week with hurt engines. All deleted with just mild tunes. I'm not real picky as far as my choice in trucks but I'd never personally own a 6.4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

d00m

Jan 21, 2016
6.4s pay my mortgage. We had 3 in the shop this week with hurt engines. All deleted with just mild tunes. I'm not real picky as far as my choice in trucks but I'd never personally own a 6.4.

I see your mods in your sig what does your truck run?

Thanks ive been hearing this ALOT kind of want to avoid a expensive money pit.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I have yet seen a 6.4 around here that will run 12s with just tunes, intake and exhaust. They are heavy pigs. Have seen a lot of windowed blocks and holes in numbre 7 piston though.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I see your mods in your sig what does your truck run?

Thanks ive been hearing this ALOT kind of want to avoid a expensive money pit.
Not sure hadn't had time to run it anywhere and really trying to make the stock trans last till next year. It's quick. I bet if I pushed it and shed some weight I could make 12s once or twice. I'm sure it would with a built trans.

d00m

Jan 21, 2016
I have yet seen a 6.4 around here that will run 12s with just tunes, intake and exhaust. They are heavy pigs. Have seen a lot of windowed blocks and holes in numbre 7 piston though.

Kind of what ive noticed most of them seem to run low 100 mph traps and then there will be a handful running 103-105. More worried about trap speed then dyno, i could careless if the thing dynos 1999hp but traps 100mph.

Not sure hadn't had time to run it anywhere and really trying to make the stock trans last till next year. It's quick. I bet if I pushed it and shed some weight I could make 12s once or twice. I'm sure it would with a built trans.

Oh i see.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'd rather have a 6.0 than a 6.4. The 6.4 is easy to make power with but the word reliable doesn't belong anywhere near it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I actually just bought a 6.0 not running. I was just going to fix it and flip it but after an oil cooler and hpop it's actually one of the best running 6.0s I've ever worked on. I might put a flatbed on it and keep it to haul shit around with instead of my lmm.
31166d4eb240a66043757cbd049f4b2e.jpg

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Stock everything LMM's that are deleted with a liftpump can hit 12's with a stock trans. A good friend of mine has a 6.4 with mild upgrades and can't keep gaskets to save his life. He has studs,intercooler, BOV,72 atmospheric turbo, billet trans, spartan big boy tune.....it runs, no denying that, but its as reliable as Hillary Clinto's promises.

king44481

Apr 29, 2015
Stock everything LMM's that are deleted with a liftpump can hit 12's with a stock trans. A good friend of mine has a 6.4 with mild upgrades and can't keep gaskets to save his life. He has studs,intercooler, BOV,72 atmospheric turbo, billet trans, spartan big boy tune.....it runs, no denying that, but its as reliable as Hillary Clinto's promises.
Haha that's good

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'd rather have a 6.0 than a 6.4. The 6.4 is easy to make power with but the word reliable doesn't belong anywhere near it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Amen brother..

I'd own a 6.0 any day (for the right price) and wouldn't dream of owning a 6.4

lil bleur

Its all good until..BOOM!
Oct 6, 2015
York PA
I know of a guy that used H&S MCC by Joe Riemer on his 6.4. He dynowed 630 and ran low 12s on stock fuel and air. He tried and tried for 11s, but he couldn't do it without a little spray...which it seemed to like. It has given him more grief than anything else and he would definitely affirm that they don't like to keep head gaskets! Lol

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA

I didn't know 6.4s were that bad

Corey

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
6.0's fill our shop and make my paychecks, however 6.4's have the highest repair bills here for sure. I love those trucks! They pay for turbos and engine parts :D