4x4 not working

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
My 4x4 on my lmm isn't engaging. Used it once last year. Light on knob lights up. I can hear the transfer case engaging. I pulled the acuator out of the diff and it is extending. Same thing with 4 hi and low. Truck is jumpy in low so I'm assuming the t case is working properly. Any ideas on what else to try?

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I've pulled the drive shafts before to see if the problem is in the case or the front diff. It was on a buddy's 1500 a long time ago. He had a problem in the diff I can't seem to remember what it was. I'm getting old :(

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Put the truck in 4wd, jack up the front end, try to spin the driveshaft. If it spins, the problem is in the transfer case. If it doesn't spin, the problem is in the front axle.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
drive shaft doesnt spin. what should i look for in the front diff? never had to mess with the front diff on anything. snap on solus show that the front diff is locking but says the actuator is inactive but i can hear it coming out., actuator volts drop to 0 when i lock it in 4x4 and it says 7 volts when in 2h.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The collar or the fork could be broken. Take the actuator out and manually push the plunger by hand while spinning the driveshaft.