4in. lift questions?

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Hey guys I am looking for some input on what to do with my truck. I recently rebuilt my rear leaf packs for pulling. That is what I do most with my truck. I have the ORU degree keys in my truck know. With the keys turned about all the way up I still have a 1.5-2in. rake to the truck. I want to keep the rear where it is, and raise the front up. I have been looking around for a used 4in. lift with no luck. I can't afford to buy a whole lift for 1600. I was wondering if anybody knew of any place that would sell a partial kit or where there were any? I would like to get it sitting level if I could. Any info would be great.
Thanks
Adam

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I know cognito will only sell the front , but thats the problem , all the cost is for the front end components , I know on a TC lift the only thing the rear would add is 2 shocks and some blocks , so you might only save 1-200 bucks .

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I have heard lots of good things about Cognito lifts, but I can't swing that big of a bill. Are there any kits that a guy shouldn't look at? If I do end up buying a cheaper kit which ones should I avoid?

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
you should avoid procomp, superlift, fabtech, rcd, trailmaster. i would get a tuff country, cognito, or rancho for pulling

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I pull/race with my TC 4". The CV's are pretty much perfect for me (A little neg.). Here is what my CV's look like when cranked about 1/4" on the threads!

Attachments

• DSCN2113.JPG
    DSCN2113.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

hoffman199

May 14, 2009
What is the reason for avoiding a RCD lift?? im new to all of this and i bought my truck with a 6" rcd already on it. i was told by a suspension shop that it was one of the best ones on the market... Just like to know if its gonna cause me problems,
thanks

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
What is the reason for avoiding a RCD lift?? im new to all of this and i bought my truck with a 6" rcd already on it. i was told by a suspension shop that it was one of the best ones on the market... Just like to know if its gonna cause me problems,
thanks

What do your CV angles look like with the TB's dropped?

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Do most of the new spindles raise the steering mount? I would like to also run a straight centerlink and don't want any steering issues. I get torque steer know when I launch 4wd and I think it is the centerlink. I want the truck to be able to handle the abuse I give it.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Do most of the new spindles raise the steering mount? I would like to also run a straight centerlink and don't want any steering issues. I get torque steer know when I launch 4wd and I think it is the centerlink. I want the truck to be able to handle the abuse I give it.

Steering mount as in where the tie rods hook to the spindles? It does raise them because they're flipped on lifts if that's what you mean

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I get torque steer pretty good when I launch 4wd. I have sleeves and braces on the truck and still have the problem. I am hoping a straight centerlink will cure this, and don't want to have any issues if I put in a lift kit.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I get torque steer pretty good when I launch 4wd. I have sleeves and braces on the truck and still have the problem. I am hoping a straight centerlink will cure this, and don't want to have any issues if I put in a lift kit.

The torque steer you are getting is from the angle on the tie rods , with the front end of your truck being raised from having the torsion bars cranked the tie rods are angled and even a billit center link will still let the truck toe in . IMOP a center link will not fix your issue , a lift would or lowering the front end when you need to launch , unless your symptoms are still there with the front end lowered ?

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
x2 on what trent said. its suspension geometry and shock valving that keeps the front end down. if your cvs have positive angle you could have a 1.5" scl sleeves braces and qa1s and itd still dance all over the place.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
When I tried launching in 4wd my torsion bolts were all the way out. I have tried with three sets of tires and wheels all different stock and aftermarket and I still get troque steer. I built steel sleeves that are 1.25in and have the cognito braces. The truck steers and drives fine, not really any steering slop at all. The only thing I can think of is the centerlink is flexing when I launch. I was hoping to lift the front end so I could have more height and be able to pull the bolts and have everything straight. I was hoping to build the lower end this winter, so the less I spend on this the more I can put in the motor.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
When I tried launching in 4wd my torsion bolts were all the way out. I have tried with three sets of tires and wheels all different stock and aftermarket and I still get troque steer. I built steel sleeves that are 1.25in and have the cognito braces. The truck steers and drives fine, not really any steering slop at all. The only thing I can think of is the centerlink is flexing when I launch. I was hoping to lift the front end so I could have more height and be able to pull the bolts and have everything straight. I was hoping to build the lower end this winter, so the less I spend on this the more I can put in the motor.

Youre not really understanding. The reason is your front end is cranked. Lower it down and then do it. It has nothing to do with the wheels tires, centerlink flexing, etc. Also if unladen the centerlink is actually more prone to roll not actually flex. Thats how a straight cl cures it.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I took my torsion bolts all the way out they were in the garage. The front end is virtually straight without the bolts. I still get torque steer.