450 RWHP thats reliable

oilburner

May 11, 2008
I know there is an ongoing study to find the cause behind cracked pistons in the LBZ, and that there are lots of theories out there also. If I was to purchase an EFI tune that would put me at 450 +/- RWHP do I need to concern myself with a damaged engine. I have read that timing is one idea on what is causing this damage, and that the Predator I have has too much timing on the max setting. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Eric

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I know there is an ongoing study to find the cause behind cracked pistons in the LBZ, and that there are lots of theories out there also. If I was to purchase an EFI tune that would put me at 450 +/- RWHP do I need to concern myself with a damaged engine. I have read that timing is one idea on what is causing this damage, and that the Predator I have has too much timing on the max setting. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Eric

450 at the wheels is pushing "reliable" how ever many trucks run around for ever with a tune like that. Its gonna come down to "good tuning" and smart driving to get reliability out of it.

guess I should also ask "reliable for how long, lol?"

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Seems to be a combination of things huh! One thing to consider is using EFI and possibly doin your injectors (dosn't need to be much IMO) to get that full shot of fuel in faster but the injector sizing is out on trial right now too! We need to see how the cylinder psi testing is relating to this to make a more accurite demographic of it all. I'm an LB7 pilot but as i see it, it affects us all. Just my .02:angel:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Lots of things related to timing, PW and boost can cause damage to your engine, but all these factors can be managed with EFI. 450 RWHP is a reasonably safe hp range for a stock internal Dmax, but some modifications will need to be made to keep things from breaking.
A Trans go shift kit at the very least is what I would reccomend for the trans. The engine will need a lift pump, possibly a fuel pressure relief valve that has been shimmed or the PPE race valve, should be enough for the engine to keep the fuel side of things happy, and a blocker plate for the egr is another must have along with,IMO, a reroute of the pcv to keep oil out of the intercooler and intercooler plumbing.

I am around the 450 mark and you can see my mods-no issues as of yet for me. 40 000km on the truck now.