37" tire suggestions

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I'm due for a new set of tires in the spring. Currently I have the Nitto Trail Grappler. I'm not quite impressed with the tire, it handles okay in the snow but it is a joke in the mud, it got me stuck easily and would not clean out the treads which took me 10 hours to get it out. Highway driving is fair, so far I have gotten 45k miles on it with about 25% left. I'm looking for a set that will do much better than the Nittos, I mostly drive 80% highway and do tow around 15k. I do take it off road, even in the mud and in the snow.

What are your suggestion based on your experience? Believe me, I've done alot of reading but too many variables and not much based on heavy trucks like ours. It needs to be good in the snow as well, doesn't have to be superior because I know how to drive in the snow and I like to drift :D.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I though Trail Grappler where pretty good, but I have never personally ran them. The only other ones that I know people have had good luck with are Mickey thompson MTZ. There is always BFG MTs too, but I havnt ran them since they switched to the newer tread.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The fact you got 45k out of those tires on 37s is pretty awesome. Only tire I had get close to that mileage were my procomp extreme all terrains.

I've been running bfg km2s for the last 7 years and best I get out of them is 35k. That's damn near bald too.

Your kinda in a tough spot cause you want it all in a mud terrain. To get good traction and clear them treads, the compound needs to be on the soft side and wide gaps between the threads. Not something that will net you high mileage on the road.

After this set of km2s die, I'm going to buy toyo m/ts. They last longer on the road than my km2 and still work well in mud. Centers don't clean out the best but the outside tread blocks clean out and grab. Plus they make a 13.5 wide tire I really want to put in to give a little better look

flyintaco138

May 25, 2014
Runnells, Iowa
I really like the toyo mt i have 37x13.5 in the deeper snows they seam to do well but mud they clean fairly easy with a little wheel speed and have decent road manners. As far as longevity I'm not really sure they are still pretty new but time will tell.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Well I haven't ran a lot of tires but here's my thoughts.. In between fierce attitudes, trails, and destination M/T's I by far prefer the trail grapplers..

I've put 45k miles on several sets and my other kinds haven't got over 35k..

I also think they are quieter on the road, though I will say that a new Destination will out perform it in the mud, but not by enough to matter to me..

A mud grappler is gonna do better in mud than a lot of tires out there but road noise is ridiculous, and as much highway as you do you gotta think about that I reckon.. ( and also they wouldn't last as long either I don't think)

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I wish they would make a duratrac or exo grappler in 37. I'd like to have a snow rated tire.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ProComp Xtreme AT's hands down. Nothing even comes close to those tires. And trust me, I've had many, many brands of 37" tires. Every set I've gotten 130,000Km out of them. Rotating them religiously obviously. I don't know what that equates to in miles but you get the idea.

I got a deal on a set of General Grabbers 37", never again. They wore out in less than 50,000Km. Tried the BFG AT too. Like James said, they wore out fast too.

Just my $.02

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I've ran a several sets of tires on my rig, none in 37" dia tho...
But I've ran:

Toyo MT
Toyo AT
BFG TAKO
And some Cooper HWY tires

The toyo's-
The MT's have a pretty soft tread and offer a supple ride
They are loud and only get louder and you'll feel the tread more and more as well
They suck in the rain and ice, but are good in mud and snow
The new AT2's are quiet, the compound used is very hard, they wear like steel, but are a little slick in the rain, snow not so much, but meh, its 4x4...they're not good in mud or snow

The BFG's honestly were the best performer in my book, not great at anything in particular but did most everything I wanted to do, well...as the wear, they do have a certain hummm to them traveling down the highway, but they handle water well, don't dig in the mid and track well on snow...

The coopers I didn't have on there too long, they were the best street tire I ran, but I can't imagine they would've done well.at anything else, and they don't come in 37" dia... ;)

Im not happy with the toyo AT2's and If I were looking for a tire right now, my next choice would be a ProComp AT or MT, I've had my eye on the AT's for a while...but Les Schwab always gets me with the convenience of my account and I wind up with Toyo's

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I installed BFG KO2s on my wifes 07 Tahoe last winter and so far she only has about 8,000 miles on them and one rotation. They have very little wear especially being 285's on a factory rim.
When I bought them they only came in Load range E but they ride nicely with about 50psi, and are very quiet unlike the hum of the older BFG AT. They added more siping and spaced out the outer lugs. I've noticed the now release gravel at 20mph compared to the loud random thud I would hear at 55-60mph on the old AT's. Off road they seem better as well even in wet clay.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
ProComp Xtreme AT's hands down. Nothing even comes close to those tires. And trust me, I've had many, many brands of 37" tires. Every set I've gotten 130,000Km out of them. Rotating them religiously obviously. I don't know what that equates to in miles but you get the idea.

I got a deal on a set of General Grabbers 37", never again. They wore out in less than 50,000Km. Tried the BFG AT too. Like James said, they wore out fast too.

Just my $.02
How were they in the snow? Unfortunately, it looks like 37/13.5/20 is discontinued. Hopefully it's getting replaced by a better version.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
They also have the at sport. Only 12.5 wide but the tread looks like it will have great road manners and it has a lot more siping. Plus a 60k mile warranty.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I loved my 33" mud grapplers and would get them again if they weren't so heavy. The tire noise didn't bother me but they are loud.

When I had a lifted lly I liked my Terra grapplers. They usually call for higher tire pressure, but I always ran them on the low side and liked them in the snow more than my pro comp mud terrains.

Edit: pro comps were 37x12.5r17 and terras were 355/60r20

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Toyo MT or RT. I've had every tire out there, none are as good as the Toyo, they wear evenly, stay balanced, track straight and don't roar to much on the interstate. My current set, 35 MT's only took 3 ounces max per tire to balance them 2 only took an once and a half. That's how you tell how good a tire is. I'm on my 5th set of MT's and 1st set of RT's, so far the RT's are great...

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Toyo MT or RT. I've had every tire out there, none are as good as the Toyo, they wear evenly, stay balanced, track straight and don't roar to much on the interstate. My current set, 35 MT's only took 3 ounces max per tire to balance them 2 only took an once and a half. That's how you tell how good a tire is. I'm on my 5th set of MT's and 1st set of RT's, so far the RT's are great...

X2....love the MT tire. Mine all took less than an ounce to balance out. I've had 4 different sets on 2 different truck, they're my favorite tire for performance as well as looks.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I miss my 355/60/20 toyo a/T .I bought2 sets. They're discontinued now. I'm running procomp extreme a/T now. 37/13.5/20. I had an alignment issue that really messed up my tires. They do seem to be wearing out a little too quick in my opinion. I think I've put 20k miles on them so far and I'm pretty sure they won't make it to 30. Be honestly been contemplating dropping down to a 35 just to make life easier on my truck since it weighs a little over 10k now......but then I remind myself I'm not gay

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I miss my 355/60/20 toyo a/T .I bought2 sets. They're discontinued now. I'm running procomp extreme a/T now. 37/13.5/20. I had an alignment issue that really messed up my tires. They do seem to be wearing out a little too quick in my opinion. I think I've put 20k miles on them so far and I'm pretty sure they won't make it to 30. Be honestly been contemplating dropping down to a 35 just to make life easier on my truck since it weighs a little over 10k now......but then I remind myself I'm not willing to let everyone know that Im gay
We know you cant go smaller anymore, Joe...
Joe loves him some riding on the big fatties
Hang in there Joe...or hold on
:roflmao:

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
The fact you got 45k out of those tires on 37s is pretty awesome. Only tire I had get close to that mileage were my procomp extreme all terrains.

I've been running bfg km2s for the last 7 years and best I get out of them is 35k. That's damn near bald too.

Your kinda in a tough spot cause you want it all in a mud terrain. To get good traction and clear them treads, the compound needs to be on the soft side and wide gaps between the threads. Not something that will net you high mileage on the road.

After this set of km2s die, I'm going to buy toyo m/ts. They last longer on the road than my km2 and still work well in mud. Centers don't clean out the best but the outside tread blocks clean out and grab. Plus they make a 13.5 wide tire I really want to put in to give a little better look

I rotate my tires every oil change (5-7k) and they do wear pretty well for highway manners, I've done enough burnouts with it and they're good on the street. Not too loud at all, but it does get louder when the tires wear down alot. It sucks in the mud though, worst mud tire I've ever had, I've been though 3 foot mud pits in my nearly bald terra grapplers and it performed better than that in AZ, however MA mud is much tougher.

My friend has the toyo MT on his 6.4 PS and loves them, he said they weren't too bad on the highway and does really well off road. It hasnt snowed much here yet for him to give me some feedback how it does. He has the tire that I'm planning to get next, 37/13.50/18.

That's great to hear, my Trail grapplers CANNOT balance worth a crap. I have to get it balanced more often that it should.

I've ran a several sets of tires on my rig, none in 37" dia tho...
But I've ran:

Toyo MT
Toyo AT
BFG TAKO
And some Cooper HWY tires

The toyo's-
The MT's have a pretty soft tread and offer a supple ride
They are loud and only get louder and you'll feel the tread more and more as well
They suck in the rain and ice, but are good in mud and snow
The new AT2's are quiet, the compound used is very hard, they wear like steel, but are a little slick in the rain, snow not so much, but meh, its 4x4...they're not good in mud or snow

The BFG's honestly were the best performer in my book, not great at anything in particular but did most everything I wanted to do, well...as the wear, they do have a certain hummm to them traveling down the highway, but they handle water well, don't dig in the mid and track well on snow...

The coopers I didn't have on there too long, they were the best street tire I ran, but I can't imagine they would've done well.at anything else, and they don't come in 37" dia... ;)

Im not happy with the toyo AT2's and If I were looking for a tire right now, my next choice would be a ProComp AT or MT, I've had my eye on the AT's for a while...but Les Schwab always gets me with the convenience of my account and I wind up with Toyo's

I do like BFG but hate how fast they wear out. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get more than 30k miles out of it considering the way how I drive. I take corners hard like a race car and I don't think it'll hold up on the long towing drives. I tow up to 15k every year from MA to PA on labor day weekend which is roughly a 6.5-7 hour drive.

Well I haven't ran a lot of tires but here's my thoughts.. In between fierce attitudes, trails, and destination M/T's I by far prefer the trail grapplers..

I've put 45k miles on several sets and my other kinds haven't got over 35k..

I also think they are quieter on the road, though I will say that a new Destination will out perform it in the mud, but not by enough to matter to me..

A mud grappler is gonna do better in mud than a lot of tires out there but road noise is ridiculous, and as much highway as you do you gotta think about that I reckon.. ( and also they wouldn't last as long either I don't think)

I do like the trail grapplers for street manners and mild off road, but when it comes to in deep mud, FORGET IT! It did okay in the snow. I've been avoiding the mud grapplers for several reasons, the tire compound is too soft, too noisy on the highway (noise isn't that big of a concern since I'm nearly profound deaf but I need to make it comfortable for my kids in the long drives), and the longevity is very short.

Looks like the Toyo MT wins this one. It is one of the few tires available in 37's on 18" wheels with a E load rating making it safer for towing. Also available in 13.50 as well.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I think if you basing your opinion of the Nitto Trails on their performance in the mud your not giving them a far shake. Based on you menching the mud is worse where you live now. The Terras are worse AT I have ran in the mud the Trails have to be better.

A buddy and I where using our trucks to move trailers around a muddy job site in the rain. I had Terras and he had Wild Peaks and he almost was out there as long as me before both of us get stuck. His truck is only a 2wd though both CCSBs his was a cummins also so a bit heavier.

IMO Toyo and Nitto are the same tire for the most part. I bet the Toyos are a hair better generally speaking, but in the mud it would be a draw pretty much.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
IMO Toyo and Nitto are the same tire for the most part. I bet the Toyos are a hair better generally speaking, but in the mud it would be a draw pretty much.

I have to disagree with you there. We ranch and drive on some very very rough terrian. I mean rough and we've tried all sorts of tires. Nitto was decent they wore terrible. 10k and were shot out here. Keep in mind this is 80% off road 20% hwy driving. They balanced terrible. Toyos original AT wasnt very good either but the new ATs and the MTs are excellent. I've got 25k on my MTs and there about shot. The toyos also pull through the mud the bestt. Pro comp did also but didn't last 15k. I've had pro comps, MT MTZs, trail grapplers, terra grapplers, hankooks, Firestone MTs, and nothing will take the beating like the toyo. Seriously most people on this site would shit if they knew how are trucks, feed trucks go over here on the ranch. All duramaxs too. Best tire hands down for durability is the michelin xps traction runner up would be the toyo m55. But the sizes vary and are pricy as hell. Just from past experiences here out in the boonies.