$318.84

MUD GRAPPLER - NITTO TIRE
35X12.50R18E
$307.53

which one?

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Having never owned the Mud Grappler but have been a few trucks with them.....I would not buy them. That is a very rough and horrible sounding tire. Sounds like a RC airplane on the highway. I can't take the noise.

I'd go with the M16 even though they haven't been out for very long. Interco makes a nice tire. Just don't think your going to to get 50K plus miles out it. Interco thinks they will ge good for 30-40K if you take car of them.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
A guy around here has the mud grapplers, they really don't seem to grapple the mud very well. You can hear him coming for about 4 miles though...

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I would put them on then give the bars a turn or 2 if they aren't turned up now. You'll have to go get it aligned too. I had a customer that had to put a 3" body lift on his truck to clear 38's with a RCD kit. They still rubbed. SO.........who knows really.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
I think how much rub you have will depend on the backspace and offset of the rim your mounting them on.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I think they will rub no matter what you do with only 6" lift.

Why not look at a bfg mud terrain?...or many other brands in the size you want...there are a ton of good offerings now that would get better mileage wear and be quieter.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I would also not even consider a 37 if you are not going to regear. You can get away with it for 35's (but I would still put in 4.11's for 35's) but the 37's are going to rob a grip of power...they really need 4.88's. I know people will say a diesel has more torq its fine..I've tried them and its not...while better than a gasser still does the same thing.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I would also not even consider a 37 if you are not going to regear. You can get away with it for 35's (but I would still put in 4.11's for 35's) but the 37's are going to rob a grip of power...they really need 4.88's. I know people will say a diesel has more torq its fine..I've tried them and its not...while better than a gasser still does the same thing.

You bring up a good point. BUT, the with 35's you should go with a 4:56. The 4:11 isn't worth the money IMO. 4:88's will be too deep for 37's. I was running that for awhile untill I got the 39.5's. It was great around town (even with stock tuning) but I couldn't run faster than 60 MPH on the highway without going over 2K on the RPM. It sucked to say the least. With a 4:88 and 39.5's I can run 75MPH at 2,250ish now. Much better.

The truck fell on it's face with the 37's. I only got 11 MPG on a good day going down the highway. It was horrible with stock tuning, total turd.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I ran 3.73, 4.11, and 4.56 on 315's before i settled on the 4.11's. 3.73's were great for hiway but not for towing heavy...also 1/4 times suffered.

4.56's, with a 5 speed, where way to high. Higher than stock and when towing 3rd ran out at about 40mph so it made for slow going and high rpms on hills...and the truck never wanted to come out of 5th on slight inclines so the egts where up there...it was not fun. Also because the gearing was so high 1 and 2nd never really did much when running, the turbo just had no time to spool and the trans was already shifting...it sucked to run fast, never go to do the 1/4 with them though....but on the freeway in 4th it took off like a beast.

The 4.11's were perfect...able to hold 5th but would downshift at the right time for 4th and allowed a better 3rd gear rpm for the heavy long inclines with the trailer. Also the rpms are about 2000 at 73-74, so the mileage that was just a bit higher gearing than stock so a plus there. And the 1/4 times were much better, like .5 for me, but I suck at it so don't take that as much.

I have had others who have 35's with stock gears drive mine and they have all preferred mine so much more...just my two cents.

I would grab an off road mag and check out some of their tire options in the ads...there are a ton of new offering from many manufacturers that are priced pretty good...especially now.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I ran 3.73, 4.11, and 4.56 on 315's before i settled on the 4.11's. 3.73's were great for hiway but not for towing heavy...also 1/4 times suffered.

4.56's, with a 5 speed, where way to high. Higher than stock and when towing 3rd ran out at about 40mph so it made for slow going and high rpms on hills...and the truck never wanted to come out of 5th on slight inclines so the egts where up there...it was not fun. Also because the gearing was so high 1 and 2nd never really did much when running, the turbo just had no time to spool and the trans was already shifting...it sucked to run fast, never go to do the 1/4 with them though....but on the freeway in 4th it took off like a beast.

The 4.11's were perfect...able to hold 5th but would downshift at the right time for 4th and allowed a better 3rd gear rpm for the heavy long inclines with the trailer. Also the rpms are about 2000 at 73-74, so the mileage that was just a bit higher gearing than stock so a plus there. And the 1/4 times were much better, like .5 for me, but I suck at it so don't take that as much.

I have had others who have 35's with stock gears drive mine and they have all preferred mine so much more...just my two cents.

I would grab an off road mag and check out some of their tire options in the ads...there are a ton of new offering from many manufacturers that are priced pretty good...especially now.

I would assume you had some type of tune in the truck when you did the regear?

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
All I had at the time I did the gears was a stock trans and a htech on lv3 or stock for when I did testing of the gears to make sure which ones I wanted. No matter what power setting the 4.56's where still to high, especially towing.

I started stock, then shop put in 4.56's, then the 4.11's. I then got the trans done. I did run the 1/4 stock with both the 3.73's and 4.11's, without the trans mods. I also towed with the 3.73's and 4.11's, without the trans mods.

I have driven trucks with 3.73's and my current power levels. When you drive mine in 2-4 gears the power difference is substantial...because of the gearing.

I can easily spin my tires into 4th gear. I can't spin them in first (unless I boost) but once 2nd hits it will light them up to around 50mph if I stay in it...that will make a mess of rubber in the wheel well....I don't recommend it.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I guess our opinions differ (and I think that's great). I can tell you that when you add power it's a fine line of trying to keep the trans happy. It kinda feels like the shifts come on too fast and that's all the truck seems to do. I can say that with bone stock tuning and trans with gears my truck tows 100% better. Being here in the PNW we have big long grades and I usually just drop it down into 4th and let it eat. I have a very cool, low HP tow tune I run though. It works really well and EGT never get too high for comfort (1100*). It towed fine before I got EFI Live but I just couldn't resist any longer.

I know alot of this is based on personel opinions kinda like how you like your seat adjusted in your truck. In the end I can tell you if you do go for 37's you will need to regear.

Maybe try and get a ride in a truck in your area that has gears and see what you think.