2002 Explorer radiator

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
So, I'm changing the radiator in my 02' exploder with the 4.6.

I love how ford put the bolts facing outwards instead on inwards.

It looks like I'm gonna have to pull the trans cooler and ac condenser to get the bolts.

What I was thinking was breaking the old radiator sides and pulling it that way and flip the bolt retainers on the new one so the bolts face the right way. Anyone changed one think it will work?

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
When I did mine I left the AC Condenser in and removed the core support mounts that hold it on. There are plastic trims pieces preventing you from getting to the top two bolts but they are easy to get out of your way. I tried flipping the bolt retainers around but I forgot why it didn't work. I changed mine about 2 years ago. I would have to go back under the hood of mine and look at it to remember exactly what I did. Your radiator crack? Mine did on the passenger side on the top of the tank. Also had to change the T Stat housing on mine sine it decided to crack to. I have the v6 wishing I had a v8. :D:D Recently replaced the trans on it.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I got it finished up last night. Mine is the v8 and it's still a turd to change that housing, my trans is still right and tight but the shifts are getting a little slow.

I took the plastic stuff out and left it out, I flipped the retainers on the driver side, but the way the holes are on the pass side you can only get the bolts in one way without hacking up the radiator.

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
I honestly think that Ford could of done a better job on that but it works. Lol. I mean since those plastic parts love to crack or disintegrate make it profitable for the dealer. Lol. When I had my trans gone through it was gone through once before I bought the car. Torrington bearing exploded and was installed bassackwards, input shaft became removable and case was pretty much worn out. Both servos were leaking pressure. And all that took out my converter since my lockup solenoid gave out (along with a couple of others lol). Bought it 5 years ago and it had 110k on it. 5 years later it just turned 185k. All I did was new plugs wires and coil pack, new thermostat housing, new rad and extra trans cooler. Motor still runs good. Gets awesome mileage now that I have a functioning torque converter..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I bought mine in 07' with 51k and it has 178k now, it's the wife's so I don't drive it much hence why it's still in one piece.
The rear end started howling at 75k, dealer replaced the whole thing. It started again at 100k and I put new bearings and a crush sleeve in and it just starting to make noise again at 178k.
I've replaced the intake as well at 120k, coil packs at 150k, and now the radiator.

Ive had the trans flushed every 30k. It did have a loud howl I thought was the power steering which I've also kept flushed and after reading some old tsb's, turned out to be a restricted trans filter, dealer wanted to replace the trans when I asked them to change the filter and flush it, so I brought it home and did both my self and it's silent.

I pulled it in the service bay and held it to the floor and asked them if they heard any noise, and then let them know I wouldn't bring any of my stuff in for service anymore since they were so ignorant.

All and all it's been a good ride. It def needs the timing chain guides but I can't find the time or patience for that yet.