2001 LB7 is my Trans toast?

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
Hi, I'm new to the forum Ive searched every forum that i can find on this issue and have tried all the tricks and recommendations. I've just recently bought a 2001 lb7 duramax with the 5 speed allison. I got the truck real cheap and had no idea if it even ran. (Repo truck) batteries were toast and i had 1 good one that fit so i put that in and got her to start. I tried to put the transmission in gear and reverse works as it should but there are no forward gears working. At this point I've went over the harness and all the wiring up to where it goes up into the engine bay and can't see any bad wires. The Transmission is not setting any codes, I've tried unplugging the NSBU switch and main transmission connector (try to force it into 3rd gear limp mode) and replaced the turbine speed sensor because it was not reading anything.

I have HP tuners and when i have the scanner running the computer can see what gear the selector is in (dashboard is blank and I'm assuming its the cluster) and also shows the gear the transmission is commanding and they all show correct. in all forward gears the transmission is commanding 1st gear for a couple seconds and then commands neutral.

Dropped the pan to take a look inside and the fluid didn't look to bad but there was some debree, pretty good metal shavings and a small amount of sludge on the magnet.

I jacked the truck up off the rear wheels and reverse was working fine and then suddenly stopped. put it in neutral and back to reverse and it was working again and didn't have an issue. (just idling) but when i put the truck into any of the forward gears the tires move forward maybe an inch very slowly and then stop moving. Im starting to think that this may be a mechanical issue inside the transmission. Maybe a stuck valve/Solenoid not operating properly? should i be looking into a rebuild for the trans?
I'm not really sure where to go from here anyones input on the situation is appreciated.

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
That’s what I was afraid of is the Allison a very complicated trans? I’m pretty mechanically inclined and not afraid to tear stuff apart on my own but I’ve never rebuild a transmission would it be a good idea to tear into it and see if I can replace the clutches myself?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Typically when you see a lot of metal shavings in the pan, and you have the symptoms you have, you can bet that the sump filter is pretty plugged, which starves the entire transmission of fluid quantity and pressure, which causes excessive heat throughout, and makes quick work of destroying the converter, and the majority of the clutch packs in the trans, and also the seals, bushings, and bearings. It requires an extensive, complete thorough cleaning and rebuild, and you're heat exchanger cores should be flushed out also.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I would take it to someone that really knows them. I wouldn't dare tear into one. Also read up on the housing. If I remember right they cracked on the front bell on the 01s. Might want to upgrade it while your in there.

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm just gonna get to pulling the trans and having it built by a reputable shop. or maybe even order a reman unit but i want something that will handle a decent amount of power like a 200hp tune nothing crazy. heaviest thing i own is a 10,000lb max gvwr toy hauler that ill tow around occasionally, right now i tow it with my LS 5.3 swapped k1500 with a few mods to beef up the drivetrain, brakes and suspension and it does alright but i only get about 6mpg with the trailer hooked up around 8000lbs Im in Salt Lake City does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a reman unit or what shops to check out around my area.

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
well heres an update. i tore the trans out figured shops charge to much so id save myself some cash and ended up building it myself (first time I've ever looked inside an automatic transmission) my buddy had a book for allisons and i added a transgo jr shift kit, alto red clutches, and billet TC. it drives awesome now and shifts through all the gears perfect:thumb:. the 2-1 shift is a little harsh though. just got it all back together last night and I'm trying to figure out if i can reset the TAPS through my HP tuners vcm scanner.
what are the other options for reseting the trans and putting it into fast learn mode??

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
That 2-1 could be harsh. The ‘01 os is prone to that. Especially if it’s cold.
You might need a tech-2 to reset the pressures.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I get that Mike said it won't reset the adapts to factory, but full flashing will put it in fast learn. Better than letting it take it's sweet old time learning to a set of more aggressive clutches.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I get that Mike said it won't reset the adapts to factory, but full flashing will put it in fast learn. Better than letting it take it's sweet old time learning to a set of more aggressive clutches.

No fast learn on '01 OS.