2001 Duramax Power steering

VetteLT193

May 19, 2014
I'm posting for my brother who is less than savvy online...

He has a 2001 Duramax with approx. 300k miles. He bought it new and is a maintenance freak.

Over the last month he has eaten 5 power steering pumps. The pulley keeps breaking off of them. He has changed the idler pulleys and through me searching here asked the Chevy dealer to flush the system, look for debris, check the power steering box, etc. Each time it lasts a few days then instantly breaks without warning.

Any more ideas? Others seem to have the same issue but most threads don't end with a definitive answer on the fix.

Nightlb7

Aug 12, 2013
Maryland
Cheap eBay part?? I use napa and no bad luck so far "knock on wood" I would take it apart and replace all the lines maybe one is collapsing inside causing it to overload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmpat21

Oct 6, 2013
p/s

sounds like a hydroboost issue to me causing high pressure. i had several where the check valve in the hydroboost failed and caused this. not sure if you have access to pressure guages but it may help checking pressures?!

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
strange, I have an 03 and sometimes when holding the brake and turning the wheel I seem to loose power steering... Mine has 230k on the clock,with no change of the pump that I know of.. I've had the truck since about 199k