1972 k10 lb7

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
I'm looking for advice from anyone that has done a swap on a 67-72 body

Mine is a 72 4x4 lwb
I have a complete donor

I'm just looking for what works and what doesn't from other people's experiences

Does a body lift make enough room or should I just cut floor?

Any thoughts are excepted too
Thank you

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Unless you have a strong dislike for a little frame showing or just loathe body lifts, I'd add at least a 2" and more likely 3". That just makes it easier to install & service.

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
Truck is currently lifted on 36" tires getting a Dana 60 and 14 bolt

I don't mind a body lift but 1" is about all I would want(unless need be)
Trans tunnel cutting at minimum would be prefered so I can still run rubber floor mat though
I would also like to have factory air in truck too
So a body lift would help there too
No custom firewall either

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Your only actual question was answered in regards to the body lift and some additional input on the firewall/trans. tunnel was also thrown in.

What specifically is your plan? Body swap onto the new chassis or fitting the dmax into the old chassis? What transmission do you plan to use? I'll assume you are keeping it 4wd. You say its a half ton... does it have upgraded axles in the front and/or rear? i.e. D60 front and 14b rear? If not, and if you aren't using the new chassis, I'd highly recommend you at least get a 14b out back or better yet, fit the aam in there from the donor. ;) corporate 10 up front may last a while depending on your intended use. If you plan to make much power (and torque) AND USE IT REGULARLY, I'd find a D60 to put up front. Again that's assuming you aren't using the new chassis.

Speaking of front end... You'll need to be thinking about a transfer case. It's been done but it's not easy to mate a np205 to an allison directly. Some have ran them divorced. Obviously, I'm sure you're aware that the old GM front axles were pass. side drop whereas the nv261/263 are driver's side in the new trucks so you'll either have to rearrange the front axle (78-79 Ford HP D60 will practically bolt in place of a GM D60 and is driver's side drop) setup or find a different transfer case than the 261/263 already behind the allison.

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
Well I wrote I'm gonna use a allison with divorced 205
Dana 60 front and 14b rear

But what I'm looking for is anyone that's done swap
And found things that won't work or things that made it easier

Seems like a lot of people Start to do swap and either give up or never say anything about it again

Thank you for input

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I helped do a couple 5.3/6.0 swaps and tbh its way easier to just swap the body on Then to retrofit the whole drive train in and make crossmembers and motor/trans mounts ect. But that's just my opinion. I myself worked on wiring and interior and motor of the project I helped so I cannot confirm any details on the actual body swap/mounting but making a body fit is easier then making every single drive train price fit including axles brakes steering ect.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
I still have A/C and I did a custom firewall around the engine. I made a trans tunnel so I could remove the Allison without lifting the cab. I put a trap door in my firewall just in case I needed to get to something on the back of the motor and I glade I did that.

Last edited:

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
I like idea of keeping stock frame
Was it nessasary for that much cutting of firewall or only to get trans out ?
Did you streghten frame?
Also did you use factory ac or aftermarket?

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
You could probably make it just a little smaller but not much.
Yes, I plated from the front of frame back to where the floor starts in the cab with 3/16" flat steel. Also put some tubing frame stiffeners in.
I have a Vintage Air kit on my truck. I had to modified it to fit behind my dash with the tunnel.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Is there no room to sit the engine any farther forward to get out of all that reshaping of the firewall? Those trucks' engine bays aren't exactly little or cramped... or I never thought they were. I know my 83's seems HUGE.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
You could probably make it just a little smaller but not much.
Yes, I plated from the front of frame back to where the floor starts in the cab with 3/16" flat steel. Also put some tubing frame stiffeners in.
I have a Vintage Air kit on my truck. I had to modified it to fit behind my dash with the tunnel.
How far did you move the engine back and how much bracing did do? I have a 71 c10 long box 2wd and have been thinking on swap a dmaxs or cummins since i haven't been able to sell it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry for the aside, but every time I see pics of that black truck, I am just floored by Brett's workmanship and attention to detail. Just amazing.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
How far did you move the engine back and how much bracing did do? I have a 71 c10 long box 2wd and have been thinking on swap a dmaxs or cummins since i haven't been able to sell it.

I'm not sure how much farther back it is. I really don't have anything to compare it to. I put the engine as far back as I could and still get a pipe on the turbo in the valley.
I didn't really do any bracing frame rail to frame rail. The first frame I did I didn't care about weight so I plated the frame with 1/4" flat steel. I had to widen the frame around the bus radiator and intercooler, so I widened it with 1/2x6" steel with 1/2" gussets. I fabricate stuff for semi's and machines all the time at work so I never worry about weight, all I care about is if its going to be strong enough. The first frame with the bus radiator and intercooler weighed just over 500lbs heaver then the frame I have now.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Thanks guys.
I will tell you this, you get to the point I'm at and it gets old replacing transmissions every time out. I have been without a transmission for 2 months now because Brian is trying some new stuff with the trans. I tried something different at Scheids and it didn't work and now I'm paying for it.