LB7: 1.10 vs 1.32 for S366 twins

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
We I have bought a cartridge of a S480 and some day I need to get a exhaust housing and I remember some one talking about using the smaller housing for use with stock turbos. So with a goal of making a better dd and keeping my engine together of a couple more years, so lower power level like 650 max, what is the better option. I know with twins it is hard on the bottom end. Is there any other options? Also I am on the look out for a compressor cover for the S480.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I have an s480 race cover brand new sitting around.

If you decide to use the 1.10 turbine housing:
I would go with an s463 with an ett wheel versus the s366.
Or if you are going to tow really heavy maybe do the s363 with the smaller 68mm turbine.

I believe the biggest force driving the 1.10 housing is the need to keep the dpf clean on trucks that are not deleted.
Considering you have a 2001 I am not sure there is a whole lot of benefit there for you with the tighter housing.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Do the 1.10 if u want, you'll like it, with my built engine in 2009 and I dynoed 948 rwhp uncorrected on a superflow dyno with a 1.10 t4 machined on a S480 non race cover over a s366... It won't cost you any noticeable power when you are ready to push it. Spooled better than a s366 single, s468 billet single... I loved it

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Do the 1.10 if u want, you'll like it, with my built engine in 2009 and I dynoed 948 rwhp uncorrected on a superflow dyno with a 1.10 t4 machined on a S480 non race cover over a s366... It won't cost you any noticeable power when you are ready to push it. Spooled better than a s366 single, s468 billet single... I loved it

What was your drive pressure like? I would think that the smaller housing would create more boost and DP which would be harder on rods.

Also what is the benefit of a race cover in a twin set up? More power? Better spool?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Race cover spools slower, slightly. But flows more air on top end. I was having boost controller issues on the dyno and I was able to get 63 psi boost and 85 psi drive pressure, but my s480 had 30 psi boost and 30 psi drive and I found out afterwards my stock intercooler was cracked and leaking, after welding that I was making 73-75 psi boost and 85-88 psi drive ptessure on the pulling track with a sled behind me, but only ~68 psi tops on the street. I cracked my factory intercooler 2 more times in same year.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Race cover spools slower, slightly. But flows more air on top end. I was having boost controller issues on the dyno and I was able to get 63 psi boost and 85 psi drive pressure, but my s480 had 30 psi boost and 30 psi drive and I found out afterwards my stock intercooler was cracked and leaking, after welding that I was making 73-75 psi boost and 85-88 psi drive ptessure on the pulling track with a sled behind me, but only ~68 psi tops on the street. I cracked my factory intercooler 2 more times in same year.

So you were running a t4 1.10 is there a difference between it and a t6? I don't' think I need a race cover.....especially after I didn't get the billet wheel

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
So you were running a t4 1.10 is there a difference between it and a t6? I don't' think I need a race cover.....especially after I didn't get the billet wheel

1.10 a/r is 1.10 a/r, no matter t4 or t6, as long as both are 1.10 on a given turbine...

I wouldn't worry about race cover either

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Still planning on twins, but switching turbo locations to make a smaller package.... If it doesn't work, I don't want to repeat some ones mistake.

Bump, has anyone done this before or sees potential problems? The exhaust flow will be the same, but not sure how it will effect the spool of the S366 being last inline or as in if the air intake was on the S366 vs the S480. If it is a bad idea, I will do the normal set up, but I am trying to leave the battery and coolant tank in there current position and do the oil return into the valve cover or both down the stock drain.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Bump, has anyone done this before or sees potential problems? The exhaust flow will be the same, but not sure how it will effect the spool of the S366 being last inline or as in if the air intake was on the S366 vs the S480. If it is a bad idea, I will do the normal set up, but I am trying to leave the battery and coolant tank in there current position and do the oil return into the valve cover or both down the stock drain.
that will not work like that
HSP makes a compound kit that retains the battery & uses their coolant tank in the same place