08 LMM CC/SB Tree Stump Pull FAIL

eddies

Mar 24, 2014
I'm "stumped" :) attempted to pull a tree stump out this weekend to no avail. It wasn't moving. :) my truck was in 4 lo. 1st gear attempting to pull if out. We heard a minor "bang" and I lost 4 wheel drive. Truck was stuck. Steering seemed locked up. Dug it out. Got it to steer and no 4 wheel drive. Took around the block then to the shop and noticed the steering wheel was off center? Also now the 4 wheel drive works? Anyone have any input on this? Let me know if you need more details? Also the front driveshaft spins freely when in 2wd? Thanks!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sounds like you whacked the transfer case. Drain it and see what the fluid looks like...

Did you even read his entire post?

Why would the steering alignment being off have anything to do with a broken transfer case????

Sounds like you bent something in the front/end steering and/or broke a CV shaft.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Ok. Will do. But now it works? Any thoughts on that?

To be honest it sounds like you may have done something to the front end as well. But I know the front drive shaft should not rotate freely from the rear unless the transfer case is in nuetral. I just had my 1626 xhd case explode bc of a bad encoder motor, it was out of range. And when I drained it the fluid was black...:mad:

I have a feeling mine was severly injured for over a year. These damm things are tough and hard to find...

eddies

Mar 24, 2014
Did you even read his entire post?

Why would the steering alignment being off have anything to do with a broken transfer case????

Sounds like you bent something in the front/end steering and/or broke a CV shaft.

I feel like I really hope you're right :)

eddies

Mar 24, 2014
To be honest it sounds like you may have done something to the front end as well. But I know the front drive shaft should not rotate freely from the rear unless the transfer case is in nuetral. I just had my 1626 xhd case explode bc of a bad encoder motor, it was out of range. And when I drained it the fluid was black...:mad:

I have a feeling mine was severly injured for over a year. These damm things are tough and hard to find...

Thanks. But now 4hi and low work fine. I feel like maybe it just popped out of gear? Maybe I'm thinking to positively

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Are your tie rod or rods bent? If there not sleeved or aftermarket I would look there first. Also stop pulling stumps with your truck ;)

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Thanks. But now 4hi and low work fine. I feel like maybe it just popped out of gear? Maybe I'm thinking to positively

Drain the tcase, if you injured it you will find plenty of metal on the plugs magnet and the fluid will be dark. Better safe than sorry, it only holds a little over a quart of dex 6 so it isnt cost prohibitive. They are rebuildable if you catch it befote it detonates...