07 classic bumper mods

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Has anyone ever cut or modified a stock front bumper rather than buying a road armor, orf, etc.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
First I raised the bumper 2 1/4" to get rid of the black textured piece between the shell and the bumper, also gained tire clearance and it looks cleaner to me. Less trimming as well. Then I painted it all white and sectioned the piece where the license plate usually is and made it one big opening... this also got rid of the license plate holes. Online billet grill from ebay and walla!

DSC02543.jpg

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
That came out really nice.. Thanks for sharing. To me that looks alot better than a road armor. I think ill be doing something similar. Thanks again

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Cornell... After you cut the center piece out of the steel part of the bumper (where the license plate holes where) what did you do to roll the steel backwards? Or did you just leave it?

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Cornell... After you cut the center piece out of the steel part of the bumper (where the license plate holes where) what did you do to roll the steel backwards? Or did you just leave it?

I cut it out and left some extra metal then the body shop rolled the lip back to match then filled with bondo (very minimal)

I opened that up originally because I have a motorized license plate on a wireless key fob so I could have it out if I got pulled over. Decided the billet looked better. :D

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I cut it out and left some extra metal then the body shop rolled the lip back to match then filled with bondo (very minimal)

I opened that up originally because I have a motorized license plate on a wireless key fob so I could have it out if I got pulled over. Decided the billet looked better. :D

Oh ok.
Motorized license plate!? Wtf kinda magical shit is that? I've never heard of, or thought of that! It runs off of magic doesn't it.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Cornell, your truck might well be my favorite truck on here. You have done it up perfectly IMO. Kudos bro!

That Chevy HD hood on there & the modded OE bumper is just so sexy! :thumb:

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
Cornell, what did you have to do to remove that strip between the grille and bumper and lift the bumper up? That strip on my truck has a hole in it from a rock and i was thinkin about replacing it and painting it white to match but this might be better.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
He sent me a pm with a link on how he did it. I'll see if I can dig it up.
It's pretty straight forward. I took mine apart kinda nervously. But when I took a look at it and saw how it was all put together, it was pretty easy.
I trimmed the black piece off with a pneumatic cutting wheel then cleaned up the edges with a file and sand paper. For the bumper, I went to napa and bought some longer bolts to hold the bumper on and a bunch of washers to shim it to height. You will have to cut the bracket that holds the bumper on so it will clear the frame.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Cornell, your truck might well be my favorite truck on here. You have done it up perfectly IMO. Kudos bro!

That Chevy HD hood on there & the modded OE bumper is just so sexy! :thumb:

Thanks!

:hug:

Cornell, what did you have to do to remove that strip between the grille and bumper and lift the bumper up? That strip on my truck has a hole in it from a rock and i was thinkin about replacing it and painting it white to match but this might be better.

I used a demel to cut the black piece off. Then bought longer bolts and used washers so I could line it up perfect on each side within 1/8" I have a how to thread on another forum... I guess I should bring that over here huh? A 1500 grill will also snap in if you don't want to cut up the stock 2500 grill.

Raising the bumper works best for classic GMC's its not quite as noticeable on Chevy's because the bumper cap is just taller instead.

a lot of people plasti dip the chrome black and when you do that and paint the bowtie its a big difference

This does make a huge difference, I've seen someone raise the bowtie out of the grill 3/16" and put an LED behind so that the bowtie is outlined at night with either a blue/white/red/green LED. It's pretty cool but I don't think it would be very even on GMC lettering.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
He sent me a pm with a link on how he did it. I'll see if I can dig it up.
It's pretty straight forward. I took mine apart kinda nervously. But when I took a look at it and saw how it was all put together, it was pretty easy.
I trimmed the black piece off with a pneumatic cutting wheel then cleaned up the edges with a file and sand paper. For the bumper, I went to napa and bought some longer bolts to hold the bumper on and a bunch of washers to shim it to height. You will have to cut the bracket that holds the bumper on so it will clear the frame.

How about the link?

This is the part I am not following? Can someone explain with pictures?