07 Classic 2500 Hd crank no start

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Hello all,

New to forum. Have an 07 2500 LBZ. It’s July in Vegas. Been in 110 plus range a couple w now. Drove truck last on July 8. Truck was running fine. On 20th, I tried to start it and nothing. I checked primer button and it was soft. I pumped primer until firm but still no start. It’s stock other than 4” exhaust and a cold air intake. 110 k miles. Ive owned it since new. This is first diesel I’ve owned. Any guidance in troubleshooting would be appreciated. I don’t want to just start throwing parts at it. I am putting new filter on it this evening.

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Thanks for the replies!. Agreed on scanner. I watch in dash rpm gauge and notice no movement. Not sure if in dash gauge will show a reading just cranking. Is there a way to check signal pulse at injector? That would seem to confirm crank sensor presence. Then it would left to a pressure problem.
Darkness, i will definitely take you up on that. As I had said, the primer goes soft after cranking a couple times. i really am dead in the water without a good scan tool. Any suggestions?

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Thanks for the replies!. Agreed on scanner. I watch in dash rpm gauge and notice no movement. Not sure if in dash gauge will show a reading just cranking. Is there a way to check signal pulse at injector? That would seem to confirm crank sensor presence. Then it would left to a pressure problem.
Darkness, i will definitely take you up on that. As I had said, the primer goes soft after cranking a couple times. i really am dead in the water without a good scan tool. Any suggestions?
I should also mention it had a Juice w/attitude controller. Every once in a great while, I would get same situation. I would unplug the the controller from harnesses and it would fire back up. I would plug controller back in after a day or so and everything is fine for long periods of time. This last time it happened, about 6 months ago, I unplugged it and it has stayed unplugged. I’m afraid I’m going to be chasing down a wiring problem.

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Copy that! Will do. Thanks. Then I will check both sides of each connection continuity w/ohms meter. Results to follow

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Good morning all,

I was able to inspect pin connections at harness connectors. All seem to be in good condition. When I push primer on top of filter, I was able to get it to firm up previousl. now I cannot get it to firm up or prime so to speak. There is a large schrader valve next to alternate. When I open it and prime, fuel comes. Out. Otherwise there is zero pressure at valve. Is this normal? As I had asked before, is there a way to check injector for pulse? It seems that would give a huge advantage as to whether it’s mechanical or electrical/signal issue. Is this a reasonable assumption?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You might want to look into your filter head and rubber hoses. The primer should firm up when priming. It will get soft after cranking but should firm up again when you pump it again afterwards. So either you have a leak or the seals in the primer are shot.

It's normal for fuel to come out of the test port after priming. Should have some pressure behind it and not just dribble out.

A clear hose before and after the filter housing might tell you where, and if you have a leak

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
So I showed up, checked codes. I’ll post the pic. Decided to try and start it. It cranked for a few seconds and rail started building up and then it fired right up. He said he hadn’t primed it in a few days. Let it idle for a bit seeing if it would shut down. All seemed good. Rail sitting at 5500 desired and actual. So we go for a drive. Ran the way it should have. After the drive, we shut it down and refired it. Started right up. Then he text me this…
😂 😆😂🤣… so I get it under carport. Shut it off for couple/few minutes. Start it . Took some cranking. Ran for about a minute and dies!🤣😆😳😰🤔 WTF!!!?
Try to crank again and nada.” I’m thinking collapsing fuel lines. Got warm and soft.

Attachments

• 0101BB87-66F2-4DDF-8D30-D605018477A2.jpeg
    0101BB87-66F2-4DDF-8D30-D605018477A2.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 10

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Yep, exactly what he said! Will be checking fuel hoses and everything from tank to pump for leaks this evening. More than likely will be replacing fuel filter assembly and all fuel lines. Stay tuned. (Pun intended)
Shout out to Darkness!! Thank you for stopping by and helping out!!

Reactions: darkness

Rsdubb

Jul 22, 2024
Las Vegas
Well everyone, are you sitting? Conclusion, I have bad fuel level sending unit or a cracked/broken fuel pickup line one tank. I put 1.5 gallons of fuel in when changing filter. Filling it w/fuel before instalol. The rest went In Tank. Darkness came over and it fired. We drove around 10-12 miles or so. Fuel gauge readin 1/4 tank. I put it in driveway and it died. I thought what the hell I’m gonna go get 2 gallons of fuel and try it. It took some cranking and a lot of priming the pump, but it fired right up. It had been out of fuel or was not picking it up out of the tank for some reason.
thank you, everybody for your input. Happy motoring now I just have some other pesky little gremlin codes to run down.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Two areas I know of that can fail on the pickup in the tank. The hose down to the bowl can crack and if the fuel level gets below the crack then it will suck air. Common issues for the "running out" at a 1/4 tank.

The second one is the siphon tube/jet on the bottom of the bowl. It can pop out and then the bowl wont stay full when the fuel level is low. This one happened to me
IMAG0182.jpg