06 duramax blower motor cuts out

lb7duramax1993

Jan 24, 2013
Mooers,ny
Just bought the truck and it has the auto temp control its been fine but all of a sudden yesterday the blower motor cuts out and then comes back on doesnt matter what setting its on.I was just wondering what could cause this and where I should start it kinda seems like a short some wheres.Any help would be greatly appreciated..

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Check the motor to see if it spins freely, may be drawing excessive amps and always a good idea to replace the module. GM has a TSB on this module and has been known to burn trucks to the ground in not repaired in time. Part number 18 in the diagram

ACDelco part number is 15-81773

GM part number is 19260762

Attachments

• evapblower.jpg
    evapblower.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 38

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Check the motor to see if it spins freely, may be drawing excessive amps and always a good idea to replace the module. GM has a TSB on this module and has been known to burn trucks to the ground in not repaired in time. Part number 18 in the diagram

ACDelco part number is 15-81773

GM part number is 19260762

The blower motor resistor problem was for trucks without climate control. I have seen poor grounds cause the fan to cut out with the variable fan speed controllers used with climate control systems. If there is a slight fluctuation n the ground circuit to the fan controller, it will normally shut the fan off.

lb7duramax1993

Jan 24, 2013
Mooers,ny
Ill have to check all grounds tonight after work and Ill check all the connections..It seems like when I hit a pretty good size bump it will come back on for a little bit too so I'm thinking its a ground issue too or maybe connection some wheres.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Is this correct?

"The auto climate control trucks do not have a resistor. Its a solid-state low-side MOSFET that drives the blower motor via a PWM signal from the control head unit."

"The ramp-rate for the auto climate control is kinda progressive...meaning its not linear from the minimum level to the maximum level"

sterlinLBZ

I'm having the same problem, mine doesn't cut all the way off but it revs up and down and will pull my battery voltage down. And I can hit my breaks hard and it will jump up and my voltage comes back up then it bogs down

Last edited:

lb7duramax1993

Jan 24, 2013
Mooers,ny
Well took it apart tonight and the motor spins freely. I can get it to work when I wiggle the two wires that run from the resistor to the motor but it's still not that constant. Wish I could figure this out kinda sucks not having heat when it's 4 degrees out Lol

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Look at the connector going into the blower motor. I've seen those get hot and start melting. The terminals may look discolored.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Bumping this one back up since there is conflicting info. Truck has the auto climate control. Anytime my fan is on it pulls my Amps down to 12.4-13.6 from around 14.7 (dual alternator truck) last week I had all batteries and charging system checked and they said it was performing excellent. If I turn the fan off it jumps back up to regular voltage. Doesn’t matter if AC is engaged or not. I noticed today it blew hard on auto but couldn't tell if it’s blowing on settings 1-4 manual. Also it cuts out randomly and comes back in a few seconds. Does my truck have a resistor? Or what’s bad? I do have a spare control panel I could try but doesn’t seem like the issue.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
I'd look at the resistor pack thats on the fan housing.
also,put a voltmeter on the battery and run the fan test again.see if the gauge and voltmeter agree.if not,then look at a wiring diagram and see whats common betw. them. best I can do for now.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I'd look at the resistor pack thats on the fan housing.
also,put a voltmeter on the battery and run the fan test again.see if the gauge and voltmeter agree.if not,then look at a wiring diagram and see whats common betw. them. best I can do for now.

I’ll check out the resistor pack. I have an actual gauge with voltage on it in place of a cigarette lighter since the factory gauges suck so bad.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
If it were me I’d just start with throwing money at it and replace the blower motor
It’s cheap 50-70$ Rockauto last time I did one...make sure you buy a good one
Regardless it’s good to do on that old of a truck if it hasn’t been done before
Next step if that doesn’t work is start tearing dash out to get at resistor