05 duramax surging idle and smoke

Rmamoozadeh6895

Sep 17, 2013
Hey everybody! It seems this site will prove to be useful and I'm having a few issues so I ended up here to test your knowledge. I have an 05 duramax 250k miles, efi live and an afe intake. Recently I've been getting a surge at idle, enough to make the truck lurch forward, also it's accompanied by quite a bit of smoke coming from the tailpipe. No CEL, so I'm leaning toward FPR. Anybody have any thoughts before I start throwing money at it? Already am running power service cetane booster in it. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
Check wireing harness for injectors, lly tend to rub through in certain areas, but def sounds like f.p.r. also pull crank sensor and look in through the hole, Make Sure reluctor ring is still secure.

probertson

Mar 4, 2013
I have a working FPR for sell $125 less than 1K miles on it. If that is the issue with your truck I would be glad to sell it to you :coal:

Rmamoozadeh6895

Sep 17, 2013
I'm not aware of it burning any oil, I just changed it so ill have to keep an eye on it. As far as a pcv reroute, no.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If it clears up and runs fine from about 1k rpm up to the limiter I bet your crank sensor is ok. At least when mine was going it missed and surged at all rpms. Mine never smoked any either. It sure sounds like fpr, I guess if it is surging hard enough that would cause a puff of smoke but if you have lots of smoke it may be more serious than the fpr. Try flashing it back to stock and see what if anything changes

sent from a galaxy far far away

Rmamoozadeh6895

Sep 17, 2013
That sure sounds spot on. While driving it won't do it, however idle bounces anywhere from 600-1300 and is pretty rough. Additionally, I'm no expert on tuners but I think I may be "locked out" as it was purchased that way.

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
If you know anybody with a V2, have them watch the balance rates between the injectors on the EFI Live tune program. At idle I'm pretty sire it shouldn't fluctuate more than 400psi when it "Surges". You should be able to still read what the truck is doing even if the tunes are locked into the ECM.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
my ladys lly needed a regulator at 135k if u can watch your rail pressure and if it drops and rises with your truck surge the its the regulator when the ladys went out u could watch it from 2000psi all the way to 8000psi at idle this is what i have come across