04 GMC 2500 duramax with 259,000 miles.

Cww

Older fng
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I am new to Diesel engines and am looking to but a nice clean 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500 HD with the LB7. It has 259k miles. No leaks and mechanic checked injector pressures and all were good. Clean inside and out. What's the mileage duramax's are going these days? Any suggestions b4 spending 9500 dollars. How much life is left in this engine? Truck drives great.

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Welcome to site! If the truck has been maintenanced well and not lived an overly hard life it's not uncommon for these trucks to go 450k+ with good maintenance and fixing the wear out items. Most common motor trouble on lb7's is obviously injectors but also the injection pump(cp3), water pump, and idler pullies. Also on the injectors your not only looking for proper pressure but also balance rates and fuel return rates. The balance rates can be had with most common hand held programmers or a good scan tool. The fuel return rate is a mechanical test done that tells you how much fuel each bank is returning. Hope this helps. If the truck is really nice not ragged out and the injectors and pressure look good. $9500 is not a bad price for that truck. At least around here.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Really depends on what/how the truck was used and how you intend to use it. If it's clean and in good shape I don't think 9500 is a bad price. There's a few trucks on here with 300k plus miles How many hours does the cluster show on the engine?

sent from a galaxy far far away

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have one with over 380k and still on original motor and trans. I has had three additional sets of injectors with one being just done. If you can get it cheaper you would have more wiggle room if needed.

Cww

Older fng
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I got a carfax and it shows regular maint with it being a one owner truck . Service shows fuel filters replaced electrical systems checks, tranny service and flushes, cooling system serviced, water pump replaced at 133k, alt/ generator and battery's replaced, glow plug relay and ac services every other year. It was a corporate truck. Mechanic checked the fuel system with a Scanner showing same fuel numbers across the board. Don't know about engine hours. Thanks for the help just needed a little confirmation on a good find

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Welcome! I drive one with 265000 on it every day. It's just an old work truck, but it drives as good and rides lots better than my 07 with 44000 on it. These old D-maxes just don't give up.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
That mileage is nothing to worry about. Just be aware that the injectors will go out sooner or later. All LB7s do. That said, I love my LB7, and you'd be hard pressed to pry it out of my hands for anything short of a blue LBZ crew cab long bed, and it'd have to be more loaded than mine.

Also, you might want to look at [THREAD=31105]this thread[/THREAD] to see what kind of mileage us nuts get out of these engines.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If it's correct, and I think it probably is given it is not a crazy low number, that's an average speed of just over 36mph. Which isn't to bad. The higher the average mph the more of a "highway miles" truck it is. It either spent some time idling or low speed but not bad. My old lb7 had over 10k hours. It's average speed was in the 20s. Which isn't to great.

sent from a galaxy far far away

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Got my 04 gmc lb7 with 242k on it, the previous owner replaced the injectors which was a big :thumb: if the injectors and head gasket are good, then go for it!

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
I picked myself up an 04 LB7 with a 6spd a month ago . It had 255,000 miles but the guy just had injectors , new transfer case and a south bend clutch put in it . All GM parts except the south bend . Bought it for $8,000 .

The only problem I have had with it so far is the guy that put the injectors in wasn't much of a mechanic cause it leaked oil pretty bad ( a lot of loose bolts on the cover and a couple cross threaded bolts ) . When I pulled the valve cover to reseal it I found the injector wiring hold down bolts were completely loose !!

Now I have to go back over all the bolts from anything he has touched to feel a little better about driving it everyday and towing the pull unit .

Cww

Older fng
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I checked on the service records and called the dealerships where it had work done. They Couldn't tell me if the injectors were ever replaced. I did however find an old address and name in the glovebox I'm gonna try and find a number and call to see if he was an owner and ever replaced the injectors and head gaskets. What is a good fuel additive to keep the injectors clean or a good fuel filter to use

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I checked on the service records and called the dealerships where it had work done. They Couldn't tell me if the injectors were ever replaced. I did however find an old address and name in the glovebox I'm gonna try and find a number and call to see if he was an owner and ever replaced the injectors and head gaskets. What is a good fuel additive to keep the injectors clean or a good fuel filter to use

Diesel Kleen is a pretty good additive

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Any recommendations on must do's on the LB7 for longevity and performance?

As for longevity, that all depends on your driving. For performance, it would have to be, 4 or 5" straight pipe, no cat, Efilive, boost valve (ppe), turbo horn, cold air intake (stock intake can be modified though) then later on get a lift pump and build your trans after it limps 100 times