04 5sp Allison p0776

FordTechChase

PowerStroke Tech
Aug 7, 2011
McAlester OK
Little background info first...truck has a SCIV kit in the trans. Believe its a 10503d converter, been many many years and that's what sounds right in my head. Eric Merchant did the install 150-175k+ ago. Don't remember the exact mileage but it was in early 05 so likely under 50k. Truck had a PPE/Edge stack on it for 7 years and most all of those miles. Ran around at 475 all the time, now 500+. Has had a very hard life of WOT street runs and towing. Has had EFI and ATP tunes for about a year and a half. Truck has 215k now and was about to find a new home before something happened but I guess its keep it time now.

Trans had been getting a flare up/delayed engaugement on the 3/4 and 4/5. Switching tunes made a world of difference but the 4/5 still had a slight flare. Usually makes the shift just fine but I do try to take it easy on it. So I have figured it was just time for a refresh. So Christmas eve night driving home on a 2 lane road got behind a couple cars that was going 45. Got the chance to pass and got on it. Downshift was fine and started gaining speed fine. When it went to go back into 5th gear it neutraled and hit 4800 before I got let up. Banged into 4th with an engine light and limped it. Drove about 7ish or so miles home. Cleared the codes since my v2 was in my tool box at work. Took off and everything seemed good for the first 15ish miles. Slowed down to come into the speed zone and on the 5/4 it just had nothing. Had to slow to a stop and now I have 1-3 only. Getting a p0776.

Did some research and kinda already figured I tore up hard parts since it was instant. I am a Ford tech and am familiar with transmissions and have done a bunch of 5r110 trans and 4r70 repairs. But I don't know what all is involved in a Allison and don't want to get it apart and need tools or screw it up either. Kinda figured I would let someone who knows what they are doing with it work on it. The TC has been locking differently the last few years and I plan or replacing it since there are a lot better choices now I figure. What kind of price are we looking at for an overhaul, new TC, and possibly what hard parts? Anything that needs to be updated while its out? I plan on changing the flexplate since the starter has been sounding funny in a few spots of it lately. Any brand better than the rest or you like more? I am trying to get a price gathered up so I can get the money together and get the trans out in the next week or so. Would it be easier to just call and discuss it over the phone?

Thanks Chase Howard

FordTechChase

PowerStroke Tech
Aug 7, 2011
McAlester OK
I believe in another thread I did see where Mike said something about the p2 planet and c2 hub. I'm guessing that is what I tore up. I need to look into the tear down and over haul procedures tomorrow.

I didn't know it got much easier than a 5r110. Is the allison pretty simple to tear down and reassemble like they are? I just don't know all the tricks and all the little things to look for like I would in a Ford trans is why I'm leary.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I gotcha.
Well there is not a pita go forward and direct assy that needs stuffed in sideways or with a holding tool. And lo rev clutch doesn't come with a planet!
Lol

Allisons just need proper clearance.

You will be fine.

from mobile