02 Dash Cluster

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I didn’t even look close enough to realize Ricks was for a gasser. I can’t remeber but I wanna say there was only like 5 SS Diesel overlays left when I purchased mine from US Speedo back in 2010. He said wasn’t a want for them on those years.

But I do have a buddy that threw a gasser overlay in his 02 and the Tach is off just about like Ferm said. Everything else is accurate though IIRC.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The tachometer and oil pressure would both be off, I think.

If someone knows how to adjust the gauge ranges on the 2002 dash, I'd love to hear it. I'm playing with some 2003+ clusters and would be interested if they are controlled in the same way.

So far, I haven't been able to find out where the scaling is stored, but I have bricked a cluster trying.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The tachometer and oil pressure would both be off, I think.

If someone knows how to adjust the gauge ranges on the 2002 dash, I'd love to hear it. I'm playing with some 2003+ clusters and would be interested if they are controlled in the same way.

So far, I haven't been able to find out where the scaling is stored, but I have bricked a cluster trying.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

I wished I had one here to see how it works. 03+ use steppers which is a push pull type motor setup, but 02 and older used air cores. Air cores work by an armuture being controlled by 2 opposing magentic fields pulling against each other to control position. Voltage was applied to both sides, but only 1 side was directly powered, the other side was powered via the main power, but feed across through a resistor. That crossover resistor was how the guage was calibrated. By changing it, you could change the opposing pull, and recalibrate an air core guage. My only question is does the gmt-800 99-02 air core clusters use calibration resistors like GM had used since the 60's, or did they move the control into the logic module like they did for the 03+ stepper motor design. If it was a gmt-400 cluster, I could easily recalibrate one with some 2 watt resistors, but I don't know if this would work for the gmt-800's.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have a spare sitting here if either of you wanna dick with it. I’d love to know if I could make a gasser face plate work. Only issue with it is the odometer/gear selector screen died. Everything else worked great (original from my 02).

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
So the tach is off about 150 rpm, seems to be that number all the time..... at idle and at driving speeds. Other then the wts light and tach everything reads as it should.