Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
<--- slippery roads

Truck: duh
Engine: duh
Default "Whats inside".....Allison 4th gen TCM

Im going to start a new little discussion segment/forum in my vendor section on Duramax Diesels.

As everyone knows, I get a kick out of electronics and whiz-bang little gadgets that are related to trucks/automotive stuff. I think it really interesting the electrical engineering, electronics design, and computer technology that goes into the simplest of things in cars/trucks nowadays.

I like explaining things, I like figuring out how things work, and I like sharing my knowledge about things that interest me. So I figured I would start a series of threads where Ill take something apart, maybe describe a little bit about whats going on, and if anyone has questions, Ill try to answer them. Im just a stupid dumbass liberal-arts major; Im not a formally-educated electrical engineer or computer-science engineer so Im not going to have all the answers....but Ill at least have some pretty high-resolution pictures for you guys to look at.

Its going to be creatively called the...wait for it..."whats inside" segment.

OK. Here we go.

For starters, the thing was designed to be assembled once and never taken apart. It is sealed/glued together. I had to spend a few minutes looking over it just to figure out HOW to open it. The only reason I took this one apart was because it was dead. Not "dead" as in it was flashed wrong and now nothing will communicate with it...but actually physically damaged internally...There is an internal short somewhere in the power supply or ground circuit because when plugged in, it doesnt even draw any current.

So I pried it open.

The whole PCB (printed circuit board) is potted. What that means is its fully encased in a sort of epoxy to keep it 100% liquid and air sealed...and to protect against vibration. The potting stuff allison used is something like a mixture of jello and rubber cement. Its squishy but not sticky, and its not hard. Some sort of gel, I dunno.

You can see the tiny wires that connect the two boards together...these wires are "floating"/suspended in the gel potting compound. They are incredibly small and delicate. Both PCB's are mounted solidly to the big heat sink, which has the spiky fins on the other side that we can see on the outside.

Its divided up into two separate boards. One is the controls and the other is the drivers. Basically one side is the brains and the other is the muscle (to drive the solenoids and stuff). The green PCB is the driver board.

Later, ill make some diagrams pointing to various objects and what [I think] they are. Fingers will probably be able to make more sense of this than me, but I still find it cool to look at just the same.

The processor cores on the tan/brown board are exposed, as you can see. They are holographic-looking things and when you tilt the TCM side to side, they change color and look 3D..very cool.

the pictures are big so you can really look up close. Even if you arent an electronics person, its still interesting to see the detail and how small/detailed some of the stuff is.

2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2011 GMC 2500HD
Engine: LML
Transmission: Automatic

Damn...looks waay over engineered.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab...stock and staying that way.

2006 Silverado ECSB LBZ Suncoast Stage 3 w/ ML Converter Allison Deep pan, EFI Live DSP5, Castflow Manifolds, Profab up pipes with Blocker plate, Profab VVT Downpipe, Profab egr delete, MBRP 4 exhaust, Air Dog 100 with shimmed FPRV, S&B intake, Isspro Gauges, Sleeves, All Seasons centerlink brace, Rancho 9000 shocks, Sulastic Shackles, Boulder H2s, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A 265/70-17

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Smell My Finger...

Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid

I bet when Ben got it open it was pure euphoria and all the blood rushed out of his big head to his little head and he probably blacked out for a minute or two he was so excited!

I wonder which was more exciting:

1) Getting his Cherry Popped !
2) Cracking Open a Forth Generation GM Allison TCM!

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)

LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKIN View Post
I bet when Ben got it open it was pure euphoria and all the blood rushed out of his big head to his little head and he probably blacked out for a minute or two he was so excited!

I wonder which was more exciting:

1) Getting his Cherry Popped !
2) Cracking Open a Forth Generation GM Allison TCM!
wouldnt you like to know.
2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Turbo Todd

Truck: EC/SB 4x4
Engine: LBZ

Cool Ben, thanks for sharing
2006 4x4 ecsb 6spd: Self built / tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC Converter / ATS co-pilot | hood stack | homebuilt lowering setup w/coilovers | Kennedy/BD filter | 951's | 250psi inj | Autometer/ISSpro | deep pan | sleeves | roll pan
12.61 @ 105.6mph - 5800ft (stock trans) this pass video

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!! Best decision I've made in a long time!
GravityKnightFlying
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2001 cc/sb
Engine: LB7

Hey Mack, I found out a few weeks ago my cousin and her boyfriends went to school with Ben...They also told me some veryyyy interesting stories about him! Ben, Id like to put my truck back together, so if you dont call me back I will be forced to go public with these
RIP stock Rods and block....9/2/12....Built motor 12/12/12. Moonshine Tuned, Carillo's, Race cast's, ARP mains/heads,socal cam, ported heads,Exergy 100's,PPE fuelers, Dipper built SCIV with Precision converter, Mike L. Cooler, Dipper pump rub fix
Ultra Predator 8's on 285/55/20 BFG G-Force's
EPRTriples
CT SMOKE MEMBER #60
Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 08 Sierra
Engine: LMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax hd View Post
Hey Mack, I found out a few weeks ago my cousin and her boyfriends went to school with Ben...They also told me some veryyyy interesting stories about him! Ben, Id like to put my truck back together, so if you dont call me back I will be forced to go public with these
Is the guy to girl ratio that out of whack in CT? That shit is not cool, must make for some weird get togethers...

08 GMC 4X4 CC/SB 6" Fabtech, BMF's

98 Silverado 3500 Cummin On Strong- 12v cummins p-pumped nv4500
Old 08-16-2012, 06:04 PM
smokinum

Truck: 07 CC/SB, 03 EC/SB
Engine: LBZ, LBY, LLZ

Looks like a Wallmart parking lot, from an airplane...
73 RC/NB LBZ Nova PSK
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Village Idiot

Truck: EC/LB
Engine: LLY

The Back side of both boards are also populated with components.

You don't often see de-cased chips. And this controller has three. Processor, Com, and memory.

'04.5 EC/LB 4x4.
Howard Rods w/ oiler hole.
Oval Chambers and valve reliefs cut in Mahle Cast Pistons. 17.5:1
SoCal Stage 2 heads, 3388 Cam, Billet Flywheel, and harmonic balancer.
Danville 68mm VVT Turbo
100 over injectors.
PPE Dual CP3s
ProFab Castflow headers and uppipes.
100 PSIA MAP Sensor
Kennedy dual lift pump.

Dynoed 690 HP / 1200 TQ
Old 08-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Why not?

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
The Back side of both boards are also populated with components.

You don't often see de-cased chips. And this controller has three. Processor, Com, and memory.
I work for Micron, and we're starting to sell more and more of our product as die on board (not cased). Of course, it is usually going into cell phones where space is more of a premium than in here. It is interesting they went with die on board. It looks like the whole thing was assembled in a clean room (not cheap).

Also, looking at it, I think there are drivers on both boards, not just the green board. I could be wrong though, as we're only seeing the top of the boards.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Village Idiot

Truck: EC/LB
Engine: LLY

Die on Board is used for space and heat dissipation.

Speaking of which, I don't see any thermal sinks or traces on the processor board. Not driving much other than signals. Even those look to be clamped and isolated.
Now the drive board appears to be driving a fair bit. Note the pin cushion areas. Those are for either hi heat or noise reduction. Considering we can see some drivers soldered to them on this side. Chances are good there is another one the other side of the open pin cushion areas.

Now that I have looked a little closer I see there are several more Die on Board components than I thought. Two I recognize as dual OP-Amps.

'04.5 EC/LB 4x4.
Howard Rods w/ oiler hole.
Oval Chambers and valve reliefs cut in Mahle Cast Pistons. 17.5:1
SoCal Stage 2 heads, 3388 Cam, Billet Flywheel, and harmonic balancer.
Danville 68mm VVT Turbo
100 over injectors.
PPE Dual CP3s
ProFab Castflow headers and uppipes.
100 PSIA MAP Sensor
Kennedy dual lift pump.

Dynoed 690 HP / 1200 TQ
Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Truck: 2003 GMC CC/SB
Engine: LB7-Z

...and to think, that TCM probably has more computing power than what took the astronauts to the moon and back. Pretty amazing all the computing power packed into that small case.

2003 Olds Aurora -- the new DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective, and luck favors the prepared.

I'm old enough to know that I know just enough to be dangerous.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
...and to think, that TCM probably has more computing power than what took the astronauts to the moon and back. Pretty amazing all the computing power packed into that small case.
many hundreds of times more computing power. If not, thousands?

Even the microcontrollers/computers that I use in my lockup controllers are several times more powerful than the Apollo 11 guidance computer...

Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Spicy Tunaz

Truck: ccsb
Engine: Twin Turbo LBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
many hundreds of times more computing power. If not, thousands?

Even the microcontrollers/computers that I use in my lockup controllers are several times more powerful than the Apollo 11 guidance computer...
Thats just insane!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Beer Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
are we really sure the Apollo 11 mission even landed on the moon ???

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2